Is Digital actually better than Analog?

I just purchased an Esoteric DV-50s. The unit is fantastic in the sense that you can hear every detail very clearly in most recordings. Here is the thing, does it make for an enjoyable musical expereince? With this type of equipment, you can actually tell who can actually sing and who can really play. Some artist who I have really enjoyed in the past come across as, how shall I put it, not as talented. This causes almost a loss of enjoyment in the music.
Which comes to my Vinyl curiousity. I dont own a single record, but I have been curious why so many have kept the LP's (and tubes for that matter) alive for so long after the digital revolution and now I am thinking it is probably has to do with LP's being more laid back and maybe even more musical. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would someone recommend going back to Analog. I was thinking of getting a entry level player like a Scout Master.
128x128musicaudio
Hey I have a carburated car! I enjoy it very much - there is nothing quite like the sound of air rushing down the venturi pipes when you accelerate. Fuel injection sounds so mechanical and precise, regimented and digital.

Carburetors however sound so melodic and rich with the feel of real power and presence. I particularly like the bass which FI totally lacks - it is kind of bright and edgy in comparison. Actually, I should say kind of grainy and shut-in. Constricted even. Carburetors are all about the constant flow of air - none of this digital crap - so they don't have these drawbacks.

But then FI is so much more efficient and easy to use. Just plop in and go. Even on cranky days it just fires up as easily as ever. Carburators on the other hand, are tough to deal with. Gotta adjust this and adjust that and make sure everything is right and that you give it some time to start up and get to cruising speed before getting in the groove. It is a slow process that doesn't always work the first time, so the convenience suffers.

But oh the sound. And the nostalgia! Those are worth something, aren't they? However you will note that today, basically all cars are fuel injected. Such a shame that carubreted cars are becoming vintage collector's items and are increasingly more difficult to find today. Even I have succombed to having a fuel injected car as my daily driver. Time just seems to move that way.

Arthur
Shardorne.

I don’t dislike digital, I just happen to prefer analogue audio to digital audio.

I find your analogy of the carburetor and prediction of impending shortage of vinyl somewhat misplaced and unsubstatiated Vinyl has never been as available as it is now, and the turntables/arms/cartridges/phono amps available today are better than anything before.

I suspect you are probably scratching your head as to why vacuum tube aren’t extinct yet.

Regards
Paul
Pauly,

I find your analogy of the carburetor and prediction of impending shortage of vinyl somewhat misplaced and unsubstatiated Vinyl has never been as available as it is now

You are right I did not subtsantiate my remarks...but I suspect the wide availabilty of Vinyl is mainly because average people are clearing out the attic and getting rid of their old Vinyl collections, garage sales etc. The average person has no more use for Vinyl then an old car with a carburetor that won't start on a cold day.

I admit that the average person may not be as informed as audiophiles about the poor quality of their choices...but nevertheless progress (if you can call it that) is relentless.
Arthur,

there is nothing quite like the sound of air rushing down the venturi pipes when you accelerate. Fuel injection sounds so mechanical and precise, regimented and digital.

LOL. Nostalgia... the gasoline smell of a flooded engine on a cold day....the old floor the accelerator trick to get the 'ol baby to fire up (especially when flooded)....not to mention cleaning spark plugs and warming them up on the kitchen stove (that always worked for me).....and, of course, the manual choke control ....the richness of it all! Cars had indvidual character and temperament back in those days, and they responded to your care!

In comparison digital audio certainly lacks character. Boringly consistent perhaps. Where is the fun?
Wait a minute. I have a car with 3 carburetors; starts every day thank you. I will also get there before you do.
:-)