Is there any 50W 300B SET monoblock out there?

Why can't manufacturer build a more powerful 300B SET monoblock?
128x128s1nn3r

Showing 7 responses by charles1dad

Larryi,
Good reply as always.Hi S1nn3r, if you want to use the 300b tube and require 50 watts you'll have to go with a push pull design amplifier. If you really want what a good 300b SET has to offer you'll have to use more efficient speakers. I see no other way around this reality. The 300b is what it is.
Charles,
I'd believe the Wyetech Ruby is superb in built and sound quality. I don't think they participate in shows very often.Their products are likely built to order. It would be fun to hear the Ruby amplifier.
Charles,
S1nn3r,
Keep in mind that the Wyetech is using "4" 300b tubes per mono block to achieve the 38 watts. So roughly 9.5 watts per 300b tube. 8 to 10 watts is the usual power rating for most 300b SET amplifiers utilizing a single output tube per amplifier. This is the tube's sweet spot for quality sound. You can push an individual 300b to 15-17 watts but now you're simply stressing the tube and diminishing its inherent sonic attributes. My SET is 8 watts, probably 80-85% of the time with my listening levels(75-80 db range) I'm using only "fractions" of 1 watt of power.
Charles,
Hello Clio09,
I don't build or design 300b SET amplifiers (I get to do the easy part, just listen and enjoy). I was repeating what I've been told and read from those with this experience. They believe that the tube has a performance/power curve or ratio. They say if this tube is pushed too hard in search of power output there will be a deterioration in the intrinsic sound quality. I heard your Electra Fidelity 300b SET at CES driving the Cessaro speakers and it was truly a treat, pure natural sound(one the very best rooms at the show IMO). How hard does this amplifier(power output) run the 300b? Are you familiar with amplifiers that maximize the 300b power curve and sound good doing so?
Thanks,
Charles,
Larry,
I can't disagree with a word you've written and I don't mean to imply that
the 300b SET is the only route to sonic bliss. Of all the various topologies
I've heard over many years, this is the one that did it for my particular
desires of music reproduction. Certainly there are those who have also
achieved equal satisfaction as I have with all manner of amplifier
alternatives. You reach a point when you just know what you like, that's
where I am these days. Building a audio system allows you the freedom
and choice to get it "your" way.
Charles,
Al,
Raquel, now that's a name from the past, I always found his comments interesting and informative. What I don't know is this, SET vs push pull circuits, is one inherently "tougher" on tubes than the other? Or is there a wide spectrum in terms of stress/demand with either topology that's the overriding factor?

Clio09,was the version of your SET I heard(CES) using NOS W.E.300b or a current production 300b?
Charles,
Al,
You cited your VAC 70/70 amp as an example of a near max operating point design using the 300b in push pull. My amp's builder purposely chose conservative OP parameters for long tube life and sound quality despite it being pure class A bias. So it just makes me wonder which approach puts the tube under more stress in daily use.Just curious about these things.
Charles,