Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
...and with masks...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-aBxGHXek

“Masquerades disclose the reality of souls. As long as no one sees who we are, we can tell the most intimate details of our life. I sometimes muse over this sketch of a story about a man afflicted by one of those personal tragedies born of extreme shyness who one day, while wearing a mask I don’t know where, told another mask all the most personal, most secret, most unthinkable things that could be told about his tragic and serene life. And since no outward detail would give him away, he having disguised even his voice, and since he didn’t take careful note of whoever had listened to him, he could enjoy the ample sensation of knowing that somewhere in the world there was someone who knew him as not even his closest and finest friend did. When he walked down the street he would ask himself if this person, or that one, or that person over there might not be the one to whom he’d once, wearing a mask, told his most private life. Thus would be born in him a new interest in each person, since each person might be his only, unknown confidant.”
Fernando Pessoa
mary jo, and anyone else interested in buying used jazz vinyl on the Crown Records label mentioned in her last post, I would avoid it.  Years ago I picked up a couple of their LPs and found them to be very poor.  They had noisy surfaces (even though they looked clean) and the sonics were thin sounding, flat, and without bass extension.  They may have been at the low end of the budget labels but not worthwhile even if free in my experience.
frogman, Shorter's Speak No Evil was one of the first jazz albums I bought way back when. I had the privilege of seeing Wayne live at Town Hall NYC around 5 years ago.

Although the set he played that night was almost exclusively Avant Guard I enjoyed it very much as did the company I was with. After the show I thought my friends were going to assault me on pressing them to see Wayne as he is an all time great as a player and composer and even I was surprised at the selected tunes for the session.

However, each and every one of them were in awe and thanked me for suggesting they buy a ticket!