Lamm ML1.1 & ML 2.1

Hi,

I've the opportunity to heard 2 times the ML2.1 - 18 watts class A - first time on JM Lab Grande Utopia BE and the other one, on Kharma CRM 3.2

I love the sound of the ML2.1 : so natural, so human...

But I don't know the lower priced ML1.1 - the 90 watts -I'm living in France and it's not well distributed.

What differs between both in terms of sound ?

Do you know other amp with this kind of natural sound - at same price or lower !!!!

Thanks

David
davidri
I own the ML1.1s, have not had the chance to hear the ML2 or 2.1 at any length. The ML1.1 is about as good as you can get with push-pull--an extremely natural, non-electronic sounding amplifier. While I could probably be seduced by the 2s, they would not do as well in my system because my speakers are 90db sensitivity and I listen to a lot of Mahler and other power classical music. My understanding from those that know is that unless you have VERY sensitive speakers you will only be scratching the surface of what the ML2s have to offer and you might be better off with the additional power offered by the ML1.1s. You may not get quite that same purity of sound you would get from the single-ended amplifier, but it is very close. If you do have sensitive enough speakers, though, you should go for the ML2 or 2.1, as otherwise you'll probably obsess over it!

The only other amps I would suggest you listen to that are in the same league musically are from Jadis (I'd suggest their single-ended models, or else the JA 30 or JA80), which might be more reasonably priced in France, or else the Audio Aero Prestige monoblocks, 40 watts of single-ended power that sounds drop-dead gorgeous. The predecessor to the Audio Aero monos, from Audio Matiere/Audio Sculpture (can't remember the name, it wasn't the Equilibre), were possibly the best amps I've ever heard, along with the crazy expensive Siltech amps.
I recently got the ML2s (predecessor of the 2.1s) and am still in the "jaw dropping" stage - am an experienced SET listener (300B and 2A3 amps in particular), but once I got the correct input tube in place, the ML2s are redefining my system's capabilities - still have the "lit from within" quality of lower-power SETs, but with superb extension at frequency extremes, detail and propulsion - the music is projected into the room with a tonal density I've never before encountered. This is in the context of 104dB horns with powered subs. Certainly, the ML1.1s would be overkill in a high-sensitivity system such as this...YMMV.
"but once I got the correct input tube in place"

I am curious as to which input tubes you switched to
Interesting

I just bought circa 1965 NOS Telefunken ECC 83 rib plates and I was blown away as to how much better the ML 2.1 sounds as compared to the 12AX7 tubes supplied by Vladimir. Mine were Sylvania.

I did research on the tubes and everyone recommended the rib plate vs the smooth plate

I also managed to buy circa 1957 NOS Mullard 12AX7 long plate with square getter halo. I find these to be warmer than the Telefunken but not quite as detailed