New speakers? No thanks.

Last week while chilling with my wife, listening to music, she turns to me and says,” you haven’t bought any new speakers in years.  You should take our tax return and get some”.  Did the planets just line up?  Or was it the two bottles of wine?   Who cares!?!

Ive been totally satisfied with my speakers,Vandersteen Quatros, but wasn’t gonna waste this opportunity to shop. So I hit up a couple of shops in Seattle.  I listened to the new Tannoy Cheviots and DC10a.  I tried some Devore Gibbons.  Listened to Martin Logan’s, Sonus, Living Voice, and Usher.   

None of these sung to me like my old Vandies. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t close. While they all had their attributes, none checked all the boxes.   I know it’s system and room dependent, but you can get a decent idea in showrooms.   

I think I’ll just save my pennies, and try to get my wife wasted enough someday to get some new Quatro CTs.  
bigboltz
@headphone,
You must be reading my mind.
I have been dying to listen to MBL's for years. Not common here in the US. I missed a pair of used 121's and am kicking myself.
And, I have a soft spot for Omni's. 
Bob
 @rx8man thanks for link, that worked, I posted a question there so as not to hijack this thread.....lovely stuff those DHT 
Ur Quattro aren't that old - but they look pretty biog - are you sure ur wife wasn't giving u the hint that she wants you to get something a bit more wife friendly??? ;)
Joking aside I am convinced that sales drive more speakers as opposed to technological jumps. Leets be honest if recordings from the 50's and 60's are better than todays recordings - then why should old speakers be no good?
Save ur money, or buy another piece of kit - better still go to a few concerts
@headphonedreams... yes Vandyuncommon in Europe. Helmut Brinkmann has a pair of 7’s normally demonstrated at rhe Munich show. On my list to attend that one for sure...I think it is most probably the best HiFi show on planet..

anyway, yes the big MBL properly driven for sure is a world class speaker, apples and salmon to the Vandersteen sound/ approach but yes in a big big room pretty incredible...some but not all Vandersteen models have a rear firing tweeter, 100% distortion, but can give some of the same effect.....it is switchable....

have fun, music is the key!!!!!