New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor

Showing 8 responses by jbhiller

@audiofun , Yes, I do still here the same boogie and drive in manual setting with the torque down to about 1/4 or less of max.  
@billstevenson and @audiofun 

I, too, own this marevlous piece of engineering.  It sounds wonderful in addition to being way better built than many tables out there, especially in its price range.  It's a rock. 

Here's my question--

When I went to adjust the torque, I flipped the switch from auto to manual, yet when I went to adjust the actual torque the setting appeared to be at what would be 7:10 on an analog clock--which I equate to being as low as possible.  Is that right?  I had trouble getting the screw to move and didn't want to strip it so I left it be.  Maybe I need a better fitting micro screwdriver--I'm already using a tiny one.  

Thoughts? Is that where your torque setting was?  
 I was able to get the switch over to manual, and set the torque fairly low, hopefully about 20% or 1/5 of its maximum. 

The sound certainly has more air yet  I am still listening and fiddling. 

I'm pretty handy but was surprised To find out that I had to use the exact size mini screwdriver as specified by the manual, 2 mm
Lowering the torque has definitely opened things up a good bit.  I highly recommend adjusting the torque to your ears/taste. 

I'm so glad I bought this table. 
Thanks for following up. You make some fair and subjective viewpoints. 

I can see the issue with the design, but for me it is not one.  

I can't comment on what most audiophiles would do with the stock tonearm.  I can say that giving the tonearm a review without hearing, touching and using it is not terribly helpful. 

I can only comment on the performance that I'm experiencing.  My unit sounds glorious, fit and finish are superb, and has great ease of setup as well as its solid build. I was considering the new Luxman line, which adds another $2k plus.  I wanted the Japanese over-engineering, reliability, and rock solid construction--and I got it in spades. 

I found that lowering the torque setting made things airy, smoother, and more relaxed.  The boogie and drive in the auto setting was stellar but the table seemed like it couldn't loosen its top button and relax, until I moved the torque setting to manual an dialed it in.