New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 1200GAE or G outperforms a bone stock SP10 MK2 (with all due respect to owners of the Mk2).  I don't own the 1200GAE, but I have owned two of the latter, each of which was re-mounted in a slate plinth, re-capped, calibrated, etc.  Compared to the best of my other DD turntables (including a Mk3), the Mk2 seemed to have a faint "gray"-ish coloration.  In fact, I didn't notice it until I set up my Mk3 and my Kenwood L07D for comparison. The Mk3 is an incredible tour de force, on the other hand, made even greater and more neutral and musical by the Krebs modifications.  I have to believe that the Krebs mod would be very beneficial to a MK2, as well, perhaps ridding it of that last bit of coloration. But the big advantage of the 1200GAE vs any of the vintage Technics turntables would be its coreless motor.  I own two vintage DD's with coreless motors, the aforementioned Kenwood L07D and Victor TT101, and I think their profound neutrality is to a great extent due to the motor type, as well as the mode of operation of the servo in those two (different from each other but also very different from Technics' approach).  Furthermore, based on these ideas and on Atma-sphere's findings from deconstructing one, the 1200G or GAE must be seen as a great bargain when you put it up against other turntables you can buy for similar cost.  If the original and inferior SL1200 were introduced today, it would have to cost ca $2000, at least.

Lowering the torque has definitely opened things up a good bit.  I highly recommend adjusting the torque to your ears/taste. 

I'm so glad I bought this table. 
Jbhiller:

I'ts an an awesome table and I'm glad you're enjoying yours. You are the only other person that I've read whose tried going into manual mode and lowering the torque. I went back to auto mode about 2 weeks ago just to remind myself of how its sounds in that mode. Fifteen seconds and I was back to manual mode :)

Evidently Mr. Fremer thought enough of it to do two you tube vids of the SL1200G in direct comparison to his Caliburn with the SAT arm. I've listened to them both very carefully. I'm fairly sure I can hear which is which. The technics having better pitch on the Glockenspiel but also because he has the unit in auto mode the decay and sustain suffers somewhat on the Technics.

Also one other piece of advice, the stock mat is horrendous, at least to my ears (as was the stock mat on my SP 10 MK3. I have a prototype acrylic mat that I've been using for several months supplied to me by Chris over at Artisan Fidelity. It sounds incredible with this table. I'm not sure if it is a real product as yet but it couldn't hurt to ask him.

Thinking of getting a VDH Grail SB for the GAE, using it with an iPhono2/iTube2 (wired up to regulated linear power supplies) with about 250 hours on iFi devices. It would have to be heard to be believed, they are world class. Actually the iPhono2 is better than even Mr. Fremer stated when used with a regulated linear supply and the iTube2 makes a it true baby AMR PH77.
My SL1200GAE came in and then the AT ART9 showed up. Got the cart installed this morning. I've heard this cart will take some time to fully break-in but with the first hour of play I can say with confidence that this TT kills my VPI Scout 1.1 with Zepher MI cart and I thought the VPI was a damn good TT.