Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
Hi gdhal,

People post all sorts of things - some true, some not. No doubt in my mind there are more satisfied owners (and even die-hard supporters) of Oppos than any other brand, and for good reasons. One is that they likely sell more than anyone else (excepting the Best Buy-type Blu Ray players), another is that they look and perform superbly and, thirdly, Oppo has good customer support and a great marketing strategy - extremely high value and functionality for HT users and music lovers that want something audibly and visually better than the mass-market commodity products at a palatable price, and they tightly control their distribution network to eliminate price slashing, leaving existing owners with good resale value when the new products come out, thus insuring that many will upgrade as their new products are introduced. Gotta love that. Smart.

All I’m really getting at is that there are lots of great digital products out there, more every day, and many offer superior sound quality at a price, as well they should for the extras $$. Should one choose to stay with the Oppo and be happy staying put, it’s a win. Should one choose to opt for upgrading to a better DAC product (not DAC chip!) for two-channel critical listening and use the outstanding transport (and possibly but less outstanding its streaming capabilities) as a source to the DAC along with the outstanding video/multichannel functionality for HT, it’s a win. Seems Oppo owners can’t loose! Just don’t buy the hype about the Oppo trashing the better DAC products on sound quality without trying one or a few yourself. Fair enough?

Dave
My Modwright Oppo 205 is well broken in now and I am very impressed. I feel that Modwright has taken advantage of an excellent ESS 9038 DAC chip with an excellent transformer coupled tube stage and the results are outstanding. Fine micro details and very dynamic. I felt it had overtaken my PS Audio DS until the recent firmware update which brings the DS up another level. Anyway, my point being the 205 is excellent and the Mods are so worth it for your 2 channel listening.
dlcockrum,

If dual mono DACs and heavy duty power supplies are your cup of tea I say look no farther than Audio-GD, I did and own one of their NOS DACs.

I have a 103D, excellent gear, perfect picture and streaming Pandora at 128kHz thru analog output jacks sounds very good to me...

I have been researching upgrade to 203/205, new machines that are not merely upgraded 103/105 gear.

Thanks Jeffrey. I’ll check it out.

The latest Oppos are said to be excellent mod candidates. I recommend ModWright. Dan does 205 mods. Excellent! No need for an external DAC then 8^D

Dave