Revel Ultima Salon 2's vs B&W 802d's

Alrighty, I've seen some discussion here on these speakers. I'm currently doing a demo in my home on the Revels vs the B&W 802d's (I own both). In the near future I'm selling one or the other pair here.

Suggestions for the demo (i.e. CD's)?
Opinions?
Things to look for?

They both sound good and have different characteristics. I'll post some thoughts later - I've got some opinions now, but I want a longer test with these speakers.

Now guys I don't need to hear how this or that speaker is better than these two - I'll do another comparison later (IOW's no hobby horse discussions).

PS. I'm an old fart so some of my high end hearing is gone. I'm trying to listen a bunch before I go deaf and to ingrain good sound into my synapses.
Later.
Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2

Showing 1 response by jeffkad

I own B&W N803s, and have lusted after the 802s in it's various incarnations for a long time. I have listened to MANY great speakers from 10k-27k over the past few years (Maggie 3.6 and 20.1, Sonus Faber Elipsa, Vienna Klimt Musik, Rockport Mira and Ankaa, Wilson Sophia 1/2, Genesis 5.3, Dynaudio, Coincident, Revel Salon2, etc etc etc), and I've come to the not atypical conclusion that no spkr is perfect and they all have a sound, they all emphasize/deemphasize various aspects of the frequency spectrum. I know thats a "DUH" statement, but it is what it is. Your ears will tell you what you like, but your heart will tell you which spkr moves you. Buy that one.

As for this comparison, I would actually hope that the Salon2 clearly beats the 802D as the cost difference is significant. I think you would have a tougher fight on your hands with the more evenly matched 800D. Having just listened to the Salon2 a week ago, I can tell you that from my experience, as much as I love the 802D, the Salon2 did a lot of things just a little better. Sounstage and imaging was superb, among the best I've heard. Palpability of performers and voice in front of me was also among best ever heard. Low end extension was excellent in both definition and force (felt it). However, it did miss a frequency or two, ie, one cut with a piano recessed and lower in volume than anytime I've heard it before, which struck me as really odd. I missed that piano's sound cuz I knew it should be there more prominantly. Also, it didn't quite sing with rock as some other fine spkrs have. So is it perfect, no. Would I buy compared to most everything else I've heard, possibly, maybe even probably, but I'd certainly find the 800D if I could to compare (as well as a few others I'd still like to hear like SoundLab and MBL). Could I buy the 802D and be happy for a long time, definitely. Not sure this helped, but if you have any questions, happy to respond. Good luck, its a fun problem to have, this decision.