Seek non-ported speakers - $700 to $1500 To stop the port-itis in my room!

I have a smallish room 12x12 that has an unusual ceiling.  I've used several highly regarded speakers in the space and the real ported ones are the biggest problem.  I tried KEF ls50's and wanted to love them but the lower-end was too puffy sounding.  Front ported speakers do have less of a "port-itis" issue.  I found a used pair of polk lsi9's and they sound very good in my room but not great.  I'm looking for ideas for non-ported or ported speakers that are less problematic.  Range $700-$1500.  Thanks for your input audio brothers!  Drumbe the retired drummer.
drumbe

Showing 2 responses by drumbe

Thanks audio bros!  I've already used some of the room treatments mentioned.  But bass traps will now be added in strategic areas.  Being a low-end snob makes life difficult in small rooms, especially for a former musician that played drums for over 50 years.  I used to work hard to get my bass drum to tighten up to anchor the groove for the band with my bass players.  Solid drums & bass notes = a tight band.  No wobbly notes to confuse the mates!
drume
I went to visit GIK Acoustics - their product line can offers many ways to solve room acoustic issues - like rear port-itis!  Thanks for the suggestions lads!