SL1200GAE New Tonearm

Want to change the stock arm. Looking at a triplaner 9" vii any other one around $3500 new used . No preferences in particular.
128x128jtsnead

Showing 14 responses by rauliruegas

Dear @jtsnead :  " Want to change the stock arm. ", what's wrong with. What do you do not like?

The gimball bearing on the Technics arms is really very good design and your GAE tonearm is made from magnesium that's similar on some of the top SME build material.

Been a removable headshell design is really an advantage because you can match your tonearm to any cartridge out there That the TP or other tonearms just can't do it no matter what. ) only by making changes in the headshell characteristics: different build material, different shapes, different weigth, different headshell wires, etc, etc.
In the other side if you want it something better you can do it through the headshells and changing the tonearm internal wiring with out to change the tonearm or invest 3.5K that you can save for other items as could be a better mat and clamp or damping footers and obviously buying more LP´s.

You have several options before you can really feel the necessity to change the tonearm.

Only an opinion.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.

Dear @atmasphere : " But both the Triplanar and the some of the SMEs have something on the Technics arm, which is that the bearings are in the plane of the LP rather than the arm tube. This allows for more consistent tracking force in bass passages and negotiating warp. It makes a difference as to how well the arm can play bass. The Triplanar is far more adjustable, and has much harder bearings; VTA can be adjusted on the fly, and the arm tube is damped for less coloration. A removable headshell means that there are more mechanical connections, which can degrade the sound when dealing with very small signal levels. That is why the SMEs and the Triplanar do not have a removable headshell. "

All that is what we learned but that never no one proved in a scientific way: with facts out of the theory. Something as myths.

Yes, maybe I can be more mind-calm with out removable headshell additional connection joints but this is not the whole history as it’s not what the you say about the bearing plane where it’s extremely important for unipivots but with the solid Technics tonearms that is BS.

Are you trying to terrorize the OP and other gentlemans only because you has a very close relationship with TP? I can proved " face to face " in your own system that a removable headshell tonearm design outperforms the TP everything the same.
Always is the same problem with you: you are biased $$$$ in comercial way and you don’t post as a true audiophile where your only interest is to hel given a unbiased advise a non-comercial one. You can help to your customers but your latest post here is part of that corrupted AHEE where we all belongs but you are in the darker side. Why not let the people to learn, the OP money is and comes from him IT IS NOT YOUR MONEY and your adviise has no true and real foundations. It's very easy to " spend " the money of other person.

@jtsnead you already own as five cartridges and now suddenly you posted:

" comes down to once you find the cartridge you’d like your tend to just use that 1 anyway. "

Don’t tell me: in which planet because that almost never happens in our audio world.

Do what you want it, I really don’t care. My opinuion was and is for you can use your money ( not mine. ) in the best way and that for me is not that TP or SME change. But this is me.

R.
@jtsnead : Obviously can and that's why he did it and that's why I gave mine and you and other gentlemans gave their own. We are in a free world and I'm not saying I can't be wrong and I always am willing to learn from you or every one.

I did not tell you stay away from TP, I only gave my opinion why this time is better stay away from any tonearm change saving money for other better time in the near future but as I said it I don't care what you decide about because it's not my money and it's not me whom have to live with.

I'm sorry to disturb you through my posts, Ionly try to help.

R.
Dear @pryso : How you doing, I hope everything is fine with you and your family.

Look, I understand your point but in reality that's not the main subject of my latest post to him.

He is an expert with tube design. I said it's a roockie on overall tonearm design because I belive in this and that he choosed to make his busine$$ through the TP speaks about.

I'm not against him as a fact I'm not against any one inside or outside the audio world. You know me and know I'm not that kind of person.

Your post appreciated.

R.
Dear @billstevenson : Good that you like it because Technics usually does not make mistakes of that tonearm caliber where other say to change the stock arm..

Problem is that atmasphere is a seller and always post to promote something of his busine$$.

I hope @jtsnead could talk with you about. He really needs help not some one trying to " spend " his money.

Anyway, other than those headshells you are using did you rewired the tonearm internally?. Could be a " significant " up-grade specially with that great Windfeld cartridge you own.

R.
DeaR @billstevenson : yOU CAN TRY THIS, IT WILL MAKE THAT YOU EXPERIENCE AS YOU WERE LISTENING A NEW AND DIFFERENT TONEARM A WAY BETTER ONE:

https://www.audiyo.com/kits/tonearm-rewire-kit/rewire-kit.html

R.
Dear @nkonor: "  The Technics and probably anyone of the great arms out there Will be Game Changers. "

Bad move or wrong way to go because the stock Technics GAE tonearm is a good one so the first step is not what you did it or the OP did too but to re-wire the Technics tonearm and use some other headshells not only builded with different materials and different weigth but with better headshell wires and headshell wires connectors. 

All those can be do it through 1877 as I posted to @billstevenson .

@nkonor, I know that you don't care but you never will know how good  is that Technics tonearm. 

"""  I have always like the TP arms since I first saw them years ago ..""

we don't buy audio items and especially tonearms jus " because I like it ", of course that a choice like that is each one privilege.

R.

@atmasphere : "   Every Triplanar we've installed on SL1200G 'tables was shipped to us by the customer. "

So Do you do for free?, BS. That's a seller here and in Venus or Jupiter.

R.
@atmasphere : Make sense? How the people started to know about change in the stock Technics tonearm for TP and that precisely you was whom made those changes?

Magic?

As I said, you are the only manufacturer that post in this forum and other non-Agon forum everything you make your busineSS when in all those forums is for audiophiles not for sellers as you.

Again, when any one of us took in count that gentlemans that are designers/manufacturers as N.Pass, M.Levinson, J.Carr, D'angostino, Hueber, etc, etc  are promoting in those kind of forums their exceptional products? when? show me. You are the only one.

You are not posting as an audiophile, you always post with an specific agenda , till today I never reported thesen kind of facts to the different forum administrators.

R.

Dear @jcarr : """   preference either for or against universal headshell tonearms. """

unfortunatelly my dialogue with atmasphere was and is from a way different subject.

"""  although cartridge manufacturers would love for universal-headshell tonearms to become more popular (because that would encourage customers to own more cartridges), many high-quality tonearms, including those mentioned above, do not use removable headshells. """

Problem is that till today does not exist the " perfect " tonearm design, always we have to deal with trade-offs looking for the " best " trade-offs.

R.
Dear @nkonor: I know that you did not buy it because you like it, I was refering to the OP post.

Yes, it's your money and your privilege.

When I give any advise I always analize all what's surrounded in that audio system or audio item and then share what I will do if I was in the same situation/scenario and that's why I said that makes no sense to change a very good tonearm with out been analized the different up-date alternatives as the ones I mentioned that with out doubt makes the stock Technics tonearm to " swim " in the same pool as the best top today TP and maybe way better than the TP just maybe.

The stock Technics tonearm is marketed to a price point where the 1877 up-dates can't goes because that price point.

The 1877 up-date is a wire that the TP today owners only can " dream " because the one inside the TP is an inferior one and that's what you have.

But, as I said it's your money and spend it as you want it.

Like you, I always ask for more too.

R.
Dear @invictus005: """  Just because the tonearm cable is copper, it doesn't mean that the silver tonearm wire portion will not have a positive impact. From my experience, it has a very big impact.

I use silver plated van den Hul ......................................................

I don't use silver anywhere else in the system as it becomes overwhelmingly too much....................."""

you are spot on about silver wires/cables and only ignorant persons think in different way.

Where I disagree with you is that all wired system with silver is " overwhelmingly too much ".
If that happens in any audio system then there are some " faults " in one or some of the audio system chain links but the silver wires.
When you have a better signal conductor over your system all the " trash " comes out.

In my system I use only silver wires/cables ( I re-wire the inside wires in my speakers too. )including in the power cables. Outstanding resolution ! ! !

That's why I recomended to do it to @b

R.
Dear @jtsnead : If the tonearm shifted to the left it's because the the tonearm cable is out of position.

With out the antiskating mechanism and zero VTF ( leveled horizontal. ) a tonearm must stays steady where you left  its position, if not then there exist a problem.

R.
More to discover