Top music streamer for 2019? Aurender N10’s?

I will shortly be purchasing a Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated with its internal DAC module.  I’m now wondering what to do about a music streamer, as I’m doubting that my current stock Mac Mini with Audirvana will do justice to the Gryphon.  My budget is < 10k.  After scanning forums this is what I’ve found consistently:  1) Aurender is frequently recommended, seemingly more so than other brands, 2) the Aurender N10 sounds much better than the much less expensive N100H, 3) Any higher end dedicated streamer will elevate sound significantly over my Mac Mini.

So it appears my best option is the Aurender N10 other than the price tag.  My questions are:  1) Do people agree with the statements above?  And, 2) How do the much less expensive Moon Mind 2 and Bluesound products compare with the Aurender N10?  Is the difference large?  And, 3) How big is the sound quality increase going to a N10 from a Mac Mini, and what specifically are the differences I should expect? 

Thanks

nyev

Showing 8 responses by nyev

Thanks again for all the replies.  

Seems like there is lots of love for the Innous.  I hadn’t heard of that option so I will look into it further.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.  Rdk777, I hadn’t considered that the Gryphon DAC module doesn’t support MQA.  Are you saying that I would effectively need to consider a streamer that has an integrated DAC as well as the Gryphon DAC?  If so, it might make sense for me to consider NOT proceeding with the Gryphon internal DAC if it will be redundant to a streamer with an internal DAC that supports MQA.
I just checked and it doesn’t appear that there are any Innuous dealers in Western Canada.  Any suggestions on Innuous dealers?  I noticed you can buy Innuous products directly on their website but they indicate the Mk III products are available for pre-order.
Hgeifman, I checked the Innuous site and it appears you are correct - it is USB to DAC only.

Just curious - do you see that as a disadvantage?
Great feedback.  Glad to see a variety of opinions but it still seems the largest consensus is around the Innuous Zenith MKIII.  In general on the internet where there are lots of opinions  I usually base my opinions around patterns of consensus.  The Zenith seems like a winner to me because 1) Seems people think it is at least as good as the N10, and 2) it is almost half the cost of the N10.  Thanks all, as I said, I’d never heard of Innuous before this thread and I likely would have paid double on the N10 if not for the feedback here.
Good questions hgeifman.  Also good considerations Audiotroy (about the Gryphon DAC module having the older chip in it).  However, another HUGE dimension for me is not only sound quality, but sonic signature.  The Gryphon DAC module had a sonic signature that I really enjoyed when I auditioned it, vs other external (albeit much lesser) DACs I tested.  My takeaways were were aligned with pro reviewers who said the Gryphon DAC had a midrange that was well “grounded” and solid vs a more light and airy signature.  Also I noticed the sheer 3D largeness of the vocals to be highly enjoyable.  So even with a potentially outdated chip I find that these sonic signature qualities are most important to me.  I also found all the other “quality” metrics to be excellent as well.  Also, I don’t have any Lumin dealers near me so an audition wouldn’t even be possible.  Finally, this could be psychological bias on my part but I feel like the Gryphon DAC signature is perfectly matched to the Diablo 300 amp.  Which is probably true and no accident.  In fact, in some pro reviews of the Diablo I think that some qualities mentioned are more specific to the DAC than the amp itself.  For example I had know clue what one reviewer meant by vocals having a “golden” quality to it when auditioning the Diablo with an external DAC.  But it somehow immediately made sense when I heard the Diablo with it’s DAC module.  So, given that the Diablo DAC seems a firm decision at this point, the  Innuous seems to do all I need it to do:  Tidal integration, internal storage, good sound with good detail, at half the cost of the N10.  The Ripper and Roon support are bonuses, but to be honest I don’t get what is so great about Roon vs other players unless you really care about meta content (I don’t).  It’s not like it has better sound.  Maybe someone can explain why I should care about Roon?  Lack of AEB/EBU is a minor drawback for me on the Innuous, but a trade off I can live with because it seems to have everything else I need at a good price.
Jsonsim, I guess I don’t have the need to consolidate multiple streamers, so based on your feedback I still don’t see the value of Roon.  How do they get to charge so much more than their competitors- some of whom offer free software players?  People pay it, so there must be some value there.  When I quit my Roon trial someone from Roon reached out to me and tried to justify the cost.  Their argument was all focused on the metadata stuff that I guess doesn’t interest me.
Audiotroy, you make a stronger argument for Roon than the guy from Roon did when I quit the trial!