Used turntable market

I have been monitoring the turntable classify on Audiogon and it seems very few actually get sold. Are people afraid of buying used tables? What are the real risks? What are your experiences in buying used turntables and cartridges without actually demoing the unit?

Thanks
coolsound
Bd according to your philosophy, people that cant fix their transmission should ride donkeys? You come off sounding a bit arrogant and elitist.
In 2009, I bought a used VPI Scout turntable. Since the seller was only 200 miles away on Staten Island, I opted to drive down there on a Saturday to pick it up. I brought my wife along and we had a nice ride and I took her to lunch at a Texas Roadhouse in Connecticut on the way back.

The seller was more than willing to ship the turntable, but I wanted to be sure the turntable wouldn't get broken.
I sold my SME Model 10 in less than two weeks. It was shipped in the original packaging and arrived safely and functions flawlessly according to the buyer. I think much depends on the quality of the table and shipping container. If there is any question, I would drive within five hours to pick it up. Buying turntables used should not be a problem if done with care.
I think BD's point is that it isn't hard to set up most tables, but if you are unable to even accomplish that simple task, then maybe vinyl will be too difficult for you. It's just a fact, and not for everyone. Even so, I have purchased and shipped dozens of turntables with very few issues. We'll there was that one time with a forklift leg through the side of the container. I will continue to buy great used tables from wherever I find them.
i have purchased 3 via audiogon. Maplenoll are not easy tables to ship. The first one was a wreck with the platter getting banged up and the plinth cracked. However, the last two were superbly packed and arrived flawless.