What is the best USED Speaker Under $10,000

REAL WORLD PRICES

Considering AudiogoN prices - You can buy many fantastic used $20,000+ Speakers for under the magic $10,000 level.

This is really a different topic than previous questions in this forum.

I've bought Avalon Eidolons, Joseph Audio Pearls, Wilson Watt Puppy 6's and others for (slightly) under 10K

I would love to hear from other A'goners their opinions on what are the best you can do - for under 10K (Or even a "little bit more").

Thanks for sharing your opinions!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjprice

Showing 7 responses by ctsooner

It's the internet....who cares about useful...They are having fun. In the last couple of years I've been to many dealers and also homes of friends trying to find the best system that I could afford. I'm still trying to sell off much of my 3-4 systems that I've had over the years. I decided ahead of time that I wanted to find ONE dealer who I trusted and get what goes together and not just the BEST RATED product as they often times won't work well together. I figured if I could find someone with a similar ear, they'd carry what I wanted anyways. Then it became a matter of how would they respect my budget.

I write the above to share where my feelings are coming from. I'm have been a Quicksilver/Proac/MIT guy for well over 20 years. I have other systems with a couple of Onix integrated with smaller Proacs (all still available, lol). Tons of top of the line MIT cables too. I even have a Rotel TT with VdH MM cart and a Krell Stealth/Cal transport.

Again, MY ear loves emotion, but the immediacy of the music. I love a HUGE soundstage IF it's there. I love the imaging too. I had that in spades. My old systems sounded GREAT in MY room. I guess it was 'tuned' properly. I decided it was time to sell everything and fund a system for the rest of my life. I had no idea how much I wanted or could spend as so much depended what I could get for my older stuff. I knew that I wanted to upgrade the Proacs a they were just so different and evolved. I guess I was a Proac guy. I found out the closest dealer was in NJ, over 2hrs away. I had a lot of local places here in CT, but I was in Verona, NJ for a wedding over a year a go and realized that dealer for Proac was located there. I took my then 92 yo dad and brother to listen to the new Proac's before the wedding. I met a GREAT guy who I trusted quickly. He played the new D series Proacs and they blew away what I was using (as they should)...warmer, but with the same great things that make Proac great. Then he told me to sit and listen to the Vandersteen Treo's....I said thanks but no thanks. I met Richard years ago and liked his 2's, but when I went to buy them with my ex a couple of years later, I was told to listen to the demo Proac Supertowers and they absolutely blew away the Vandy's...More money, but worth it. I didn't like the Vandy sound....
What a difference 20 years makes. I was floored. My DAD was floored....brother too and he was a Proac guy himself!
I've heard the Legacys, Rockports, Magicos, Focals, Maggies, Proacs, Clearwave, Harbeths, AN's, Theils, Revels, Dynaudio, B&W, Apogees, ML and way too many more to list, but you will find the names in nearly any thread. Very few I haven't heard. I used the price range of under 20k used or new.

I now use Ayre gear in balanced mode. I use very good AQ cables and have a Basis TT with MB cart. I've heard this system with a few other speakers and it gets out of the way and lets you hear the recording IF the speaker let's you. Personally, I have LOVED the used Avalon's in the under 10k used. I have enjoyed many speakers, but for listening for long periods AND getting eventing else I love, the Vandersteens can't be beaten. You can afford a pair of nicely used 5A's for under 10k. Of you can get newer Quattro's if that fits your room best. I went with new Treo's. I may upgrade later on, but right now I love them. I've found the Vandy line (the upper end stuff we are talking about) to have the fastest mid range in the market place. it makes a HUGE difference to me. Again, MY opinion.

I'd at least put the Vandy 5A's on your short list to listen to. JMHO...
Well, since someone decided to reopen this thread, maybe they thought it would be fun to post on. Why would you make such a condescending post and be such a jerk about a thread that some of us are having fun with? Are you better than all of us? Do you feel better to come and rain on everyone's party? Go listen to your Kellogg records and create your own thread that's right up to date and it will make you feel much better I'm sure.
gator, didn't really hurt my feelings at all. Was enjoying this thread as are others and didn't want it threadjacked. You can be anyway you want. Your references would have been funnier if you had anything to share, but your post has nothing to do with this thread and a few of us construed it as you putting us down by making fun of it and pointing out when it was started. I would assume that anyone who's reading this thread knows the dates of it.

It' the internet and folks often don't come off as they think they are. Your thread just came off as someone who thought it was a stupid thread because it was started a few years ago. I was emailed by two about your post, so when I read it and it had nothing to do with the thread other than making fun of it, I read it the some way as the others. Why do you feel the need to mess with anyone, especially when you don't know us? I would say most of us are pretty 'lightened up' and I sure don't need anyone to tell me to lighten up. I'd have to care about you or have you make a personal attack before my feelings would be hurt, however I've been posting on boards since the net opened and have learned not to take anything, including my self that seriously (well, most of the time).

So do you have anything to add to the thread? What speakers have you heard that you would buy under 10k?
Guys, John from Audio Connection in Verona NJ will tell you how to set up the 5's in this thread if you ask. He's the best I've met and as I've said, that's why I drive nearly 3 hrs each way to do business with him. I never loved the Theil sound as I"m very very sensitive to fatigue and the highs have always been too much for me, but that may be the equipment they use...The Vandy's will give a more musical presentation. Richard listens a ton of live music. We spoke about that last month. Many don't understand his 'sound' as it's not really a sound. It's what he feels live sounds like. Bigger amp will give you more dynamics. No feedback amp (ayre) will give you a quiet noise floor...they are as neutral as I've heard and that includes Rockports and other exotics. I can listen to music all day long on them as they stage and image but only what's being passed to them from the source and amps. Harbeth and speakers like that are listenable, but aren't as detailed in the attacks as the Vandys are. That's where even more emotion is located. Some shops say listen how detailed these are or how clear and they probably haven't heard live in years. It's the mid bass through midrange that matters and when you are as quick as the Vandy's are in this range, THAT'S what makes them so special. As you already know Michael, even the Treo's are faster than most panels, but convey more emotion and sound like you are THERE....plus the 5's are easy to set up with that powered woofer due to the Q or something like that..I listen and am not an engineer, lol...Ask John though and you'll die with the difference...I was a Proac guy and nearly got new D40's, but side by side(John also sells and loves Proacs) it wasn't close and the Treo's new are a lot less. JMHO
For me I have the same feelings as Melbguy. Even the diamonds were too hot for me. I heard them with top of the line Classe and Hegel..The Hegel's were way too hot. Classe's were ok, but not smooth in the way live music is for me.
Another thread had a poster get a used pair of Vandersteen Quatro CT's for under 10k and he is in love.  Said set up was fairly easy and he loves his system again.  Happy for him.  So many top choices here since it's often the sweet spot of folks lines.
I actually was able to audition the smaller new Dynaudio with the Esotar 3 tweeter. I was really impressed by the sound.  Beautiful looking also.  Very impressive.