When System Improvements Are Marginal

I’m fortunate enough to have some items that I’m considering purchasing loan this Holiday weekend.  And I have a question that I’m interested in obtaining responses on.

Typically, when I’ve inserted a new component it’s been fairly obvious what the contribution was that that specific component was making to my system.  I’m reminded of a comment made to me by a long-term industry professional that went something like, “When trying out a new component in your system the contribution or difference that component makes should jump right out at you.”

However, OTOH, one of the components that I’m considering purchasing is not jumping right out me.  In fact, there are times when I’m not sure whether it is making a difference.  And, there are times when I think that it is making a difference but the difference is very subtle.  And I like it.  But, admittedly because it is so subtle I wonder if it might just be in my head.  And in this case I’m reminded of the common comment that as our systems improve, any additional improvements become marginal.  Or, the law of diminishing returns.

Anyway, I’m sure there are at least a few members on the forum that have been in a similar situation.  And my question is, “What did you do?”

musicpod
Don’t worry too much about the law of diminishing returns or any such notion. Your dealer/pro is guiding you well with his advice, I’d say.

The difference(s) should jump out at you. You just need to be careful that those differences don’t also introduce a new negative aspect to the sound that you hadn’t had to deal with before. Be a bit insistent with yourself that the sound you’re after (or better) does indeed exist and that it’s just a matter of finding out what it will take for you to get there - IOW avoid compromising with yourself or with the unknown...if you are thorough with this approach, you will include looking at solutions for yourself that are not too expensive and not out of your original price range. Lots of variety in equipment out there to try, to look at and consider. Your ears should tell your when you’re getting close to what it is you’re after.

Regards,
John
The change introduced by the new component better be obvious. If not obvious - the component might still be very good, and might make a significant difference in a different system, but is not helping you at this time. You might realize its benefits later (after other system changes). Or its drawbacks. Sometimes the existing system has other unexpected weak links, whether it is the room coupling or interconnects or another component that keeps it from raising to the next level. 

If it was me, I may try to force the difference be more obvious (for example, operate another change, then evaluate again the new component in the changed system) to shortcut the learning. 
I've found that the character of a piece is more readily apparent when it is removed from a system after having been in place for a while, rather than when it is first inserted. By that time you have listened to a lot of music through it, and have become familiar with it's way with music. Sort of like how you don't really know someone for quite a while after first meeting them. But then, my learning curve is somewhat gradual ;-).
I agree with bdp24 and his methodology.  I disagree with the "jump right at you" aspect.  When true it could mean something is very wrong with either your existing system or the new component.