Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 9 responses by radiohead99

How good is the amplifier section of Lyngdorf? I wonder if it makes the most sense to use it as a dac/preamp and hook it up to a tube amp. Or is it shines the most when use it as a complete dac/preamp/amp package?

Does anyone know what kind of class D amp technology they are using inside - hypex/icepower? which generation? or something totally different?
@grannyring Given the 2170 is about 3 years old, do you think the digital to analog conversion of 2170 can be vastly improved? Given how this keeps improving every year, I'd be curious to know if 3400 has a difference compare to 2170 in terms of digital to analog conversion in addition to power.

This is the only reason it's giving me a pause of having  a 2170 as a long term gear - what if the digital to analog conversion gets outdated fast.
What bit rates are supported in roon streaming through 3400? Anyone knows whether 3400 can stream upsampled DSD through Roon? Roon has the capability to use HQPlayer to upsample DSD. It'd be super nice if that is supported. 
@kdude66 Roon actually do support HQP upsampling for quite some time now. I've been upsampling everything to DSD512 from my custom built music server using HQP and controlling that from Roon flawlessly for the past 2.5 years now. It sounds amazing through my T+A DAC8 DSD. 

I've a 2170 incoming this weekend. I know 2170 only supports upto DSD128. But sound quality is what we are after, not the format. Really looking forward to it.
@kdude66  You are wrong. According to manual, 2170 only accepts DSD up to 128. Now, after receiving my 2170, I can confirm that if I upsample anything over DSD 128, it doesn't play any music, nada.

I'm not complaining though. The sound is sublime. Early impression is VERY VERY good.
@grannyring I've my 2170 hooked up to a equi=core 1800 conditioner. I'm using HiDiamond USB cable and TWL power cord. Do you recommend I use a different conditioner or something like a PS Audio power regenerator in addition to equi=core?
@grannyring Please share what are the ways 2170 can be improved. Mine goes to standby mode when there's no signal playing for some time. How do I prevent that?

@kdude66  Interesting. What USB driver are you using that allows you to stream DSD 512? I'm extremely curious. My system sounds significantly better with DSD upsample, with higher rates the better. Your feedback will be helpful.

I use Pure Audio Project Horn1 speaker. They truly excellent speakers. I use them in my living room of 15'x12'. Its funny how the open baffle horn interact with my living space. Previously my room was heavily treated, corner bass traps, absorber on first and second reflection point, monster bass trap at the back wall and what not. However, since using the PAP open baffle, I had to reduce the sound treatment significantly to make the speaker sound better. It's surprising how it's 2x15" woofer each channel integrate so well in a small room.

What is puzzling is that, after I installed 2170 and took enough measurement to have RP 100%, I do not notice a significant different with or without room perfect. Any idea why that could be? I took 11 measurement (3 additional ones after receiving 100% RP). Also, there's 5' opening into hallway at the back of left channel. I took a measurement of that space too. Is that desirable?

Funny thing is, even though I do not notice a drastica difference between having RP on or off, the sound quality regardless is superb; I mean really really good.
@aniwolfe Yes, I've made sure to have RP on focus all the time. May be I should take another measurement. I had no idea that dipole/open baffle are such room friendly speakers. Goes to show that when you remove that box, how uncolored and less boomy the bass becomes.

And interesting, I didn't know that you can check how much room correction it is using. I'll check and report back.
@kdude66 Can you kindly share how you were able to get Lyngdorf play DSD 512? I still can't wrap my mind about this. Are you able to view the DSD 512 bit rate on the 2170 display? I can only see up to DSD 128 on my 2170 display on I click "info" on the remote and no sound plays if I upsample further. What ASIO are you using that allows you to do that?

This is very odd to be honest. Does it require a new firmware update to enable this? Given 2170 doesn't use FPGA, are they using a new chip that supports DSD 512? It's such a big feature that I would expect Lyngdorf to announce it publicly.