Yamaha A-S3000 - any experiences?

This integrated seems real interesting - have you heard it?

Have you heard it with a turntable as source, using its phono stage?

A concern for me is that they chose 50 ohm for the fixed MC value (usually it's 100 ohms to accommodate most carts) - I have a Shelter Harmony that states 'within 100 ohms'...I wonder how that would affect the sound (I think not much, but...)...anyways, please share if you have any experiences of this amp...MANY thanks and Happy New Year to you all!
Ag insider logo xs@2xgo4vinyl
Had a AS2100 through here a few months back, it was astoundingly good for its price.  Did not try the Phono stage but if as good as the rest of the amp I would not worry.

For a low impedance MC cartridge the difference between 50 Ohm and 100 Ohm loading should not be that noticeable, the Shelter has a 15 Ohm impedance, not exactly "low" but it should work. 

Good Listening

Peter

I've not heard it personally, but remember reading a review at what hifi. They thought it didn't justify the price tag, and didn't consider it an all rounder, considering the competition at that price point.
What hifi  is often said to be always looking out for the home team.

In England for a century the common wisdom was "British therefore best" .
Still in force in some quarters .

Now if one of the Germans rags had said it My ears would perk up .
I'll keep my eyes ope for a used silver A s3000 or just buy a new a s2100. I wonder what the major differences are between the two. Both have balanced inputs and seem to have same phono stage.
I've lived with the Yamaha A-S3000 for about 5 days now and can only say it is a truly special piece.  I see the previous comments about the What HiFi review of the 3000 as I read the same review prior to my purchase.  All I can say is their preference in musical reproduction must be very different than mine.  This is absolutely a high end piece with sonics to match.

Arch, where did you purchase yours?
I purchased here on Audiogon weekend before last.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I currently own the A-S2000, which I have enjoyed thoroughly over the years.  I've been on the hunt for another amp, solid state or tube, that offers a significant upgrade in sound for the price.  So far I haven't found that amp.  I would say the biggest weakness of the 2000 is the bass extension.  I'm also considering a Pass Labs INT-30A, which should have a similar sound signature, but not sure how that would compare to the 2100 or even the 3000.

Has anyone been able to compare the 2000 to the 2100 or 3000?  
" I would say the biggest weakness of the 2000 is the bass extension."

Can you elaborate a bit on this?  I have found that my A-S1000 has great punch and extension but I am only driving large bookshelf speakers(Klipsch RB-75's) and have not hooked them up to my floorstanders.

Thanks,
Bill
The as 3000 has the meters. I would pay much more for the meters. I know there is no reason to have them but they look great. The yamaha sound is generally very natural and laid back.  
The A-S2000 I think has much better bass response when using the balanced inputs.  The bass punch with the 2000 is definitely good, it's mainly the extension that I feel is a bit lacking.  It doesn't go as low as my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium.

I used to own a pair of Golden Ear Triton 3 speakers that had built in subs, and I would really notice the difference there.  
Bump.

Happy New Year.

I am probably a few weeks out from ordering the Yamaha A-S3000. 

For those who have it, how do you like it? Any regrets? Anyone else thinking of buying one?

Some of the reviews that I've read are stellar. I had a Yamaha receiver in college that I just recently gave to a friend. 

From the description of the sound in the reviews, seems like it's a perfect fit for me.

Thanks!

I have a question for A-s2100/A-s3000 users. When you use the "main direct" input, I know the As3000 volume control is bypassed. Basically, you would hook an outboard preamp and use the Yamaha as a tradition stereo amp. My question is that when you do use the "Main Direct", are the tone controls bypassed as well or are they still functional?
"I have a question for A-s2100/A-s3000 users. When you use the "main direct" input, I know the As3000 volume control is bypassed. Basically, you would hook an outboard preamp and use the Yamaha as a tradition stereo amp. My question is that when you do use the "Main Direct", are the tone controls bypassed as well or are they still functional?"

Below is an excerpt from Yamaha's description of the A-S1000 which I have:

"Note: The volume and tone controls do not effect the amplifiers Main Direct Input or Record Output."  

Being that all the analog A-S integrateds have the same design volume/tone controls, I would say this applies to the 2100 and 3000 also.

From Crutchfield website:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x3kf331Cmoy/p_022AS2100B/Yamaha-A-S2100-Black.html

Bill
As willand mentions above the tone controls of the Yamaha AS3000 are bypassed in main direct mode.  I use my AS3000 primarily for stereo listening with an Hegel HD11 DAC but I do have the left and right preamp channels of my home theatre receiver (Yamaha RXA3030) connected to the AS3000 main direct input allowing the receiver to have preamp control for movies.  The receiver's amps handle center and surround, the AS3000's amps handle left and right.  Works and sounds great, and keeps me from having to switch out speaker cables every time I go back and forth from stereo mode to movie mode.  But again most of my time is spent listening to the 3000 stereo only.

I'm now a couple of weeks in with the AS3000 and am loving it.  Absolutely no regrets.  I find the review by stevehuffphoto on line to very accurately describe the sound almost point for point with my findings.  Lots of late night listening lately.

Thanks for your info. Keep us posted as it breaks in more. I'll probably have to settle for an A s2100 unless A4L gets a refurbished 3000 in silver (I really do not want black). I would love someone to compare the sound differences between the two (the 2100 vs 3000). Obviously, the 3000 will have it beat hands down, but would like to hear someone's opinion on how much better.
Looks like the black and silver versions of the Yamaha A-S3000 are now the same price, $7K.

That's great because I love the silver version.
That's great because I love the silver version.
Agreed.  There's something really nice about the silver version with the black gloss side panels.  Sound is what really matters but it's a real bonus to have such a nice looking integrated.  I bet the black version is pretty nice in person as well.  I love the meters but I do find I have them off a majority of the time.  I do wish you could turn the lights off with the meters still active.  

Aberyclark I noticed A4L has the A-S1100 in silver which is similar to the A-S2100 but not a balanced design.  Would love to see a comparison of all three.
Aberyclark I noticed A4L has the A-S1100 in silver which is similar to the A-S2100 but not a balanced design.  Would love to see a comparison of all three.
I would too. I'd be curious if the 1100 is basically an "unbalanced" version of the 2100. I highly doubt it since the price difference is quite large.
"Aberyclark I noticed A4L has the A-S1100 in silver which is similar to the A-S2100 but not a balanced design.  Would love to see a comparison of all three.
"I would too. I'd be curious if the 1100 is basically an "unbalanced" version of the 2100. I highly doubt it since the price difference is quite large."

From my observation, the 1100 is an unbalanced 2100 with 4/18000uf power caps instead of 4/22000uf.  There may be more differences but that is something I am certain of.

Bill

How would smaller caps effect sound? Or is it more of a durability/stability issue
How would smaller caps effect sound? Or is it more of a durability/stability issue

I am sure using marginally smaller caps alone will not affect the sound quality but it will give the 2100 a tad more reserves and stability when called upon.

Bill
Both the 1100 and 2100 have a pretty robust power supply that would easily drive a good percentage of speakers produced.  Something besides those wood side panels is responsible for their 50lbs + of heft and I am betting on the power supply as well as solid build quality.

Bill
My ZU Omen Defs are quite efficient (I believe 101 db). They play nice with lower wattage amps. 100 + watts is way more than adequate
I have had the Yamaha A-S3000 for two and a half months now and I wanted to report back and post a few comments.  My wife bought me a new Mac mini for my birthday (I'm a lucky guy) and I optimized it for use as a dedicated music server combined with my Hegel HD11 DAC plus a few other tweaks.  I would describe the system as full bodied, holographic, detailed, big.  I tend to roll my eyes a little when I hear someone describe the sound of a solid state amp as "tube sounding" but I gotta tell you the 3000 is the closest thing to power tubes I've ever had with SS.  No, not quite the 3D midrange magic compared to my previous tubes, but playing in the same ball park, and with better bass.  I would love to try the matching CD/SACD player (CD-S3000) even though I don't spin discs much anymore but I really want to hear what it has to offer via USB.  But there's that little matter of I can't even begin to afford the CD player.  Even so, for my tastes, I'm thrilled with how things currently sit.

Congrats. Are you using the phono stage? Would like to know also how the rca vs balanced sound for your dac or cd.  Looks like a fantastic amp. I love  the yamaha sound. 
Skoczylas, unfortunately I do not have any experience with the phono stage in the 3000 nor a table I can use to test.

When I first bought the Yamaha I tried both single ended and balanced and preferred balanced.  It wasn't really a fair comparison though but in any event I have used balanced and haven't looked back.  When I get some time I'll swap single ended back in and do a quick comparison.

I'm not much of a headphone guy but I do listen periodically when noise may be an issue for the wife and daughter and I will say that the internal headphone amp is very good in the 3000, making my Focal Spirit Professionals the week link IMO.  As a side note I would be fine with the Focal headphones but I do find them uncomfortable for extended listening. 

There is a very favorable review of the A-S3000 in the February 2017 (issue 270) of The Absolute Sound magazine.
I was thinking tubes. Now back on the Sony as2100. Not many asxxxx series used. People must love them
Just wanted to let every one who is intrested in Buying ahigh end integrated amplifier, the AS 3000 is the most natural amplifier you will find on the market at its price range.

It does only one thing, increase the signal, noting more, no tricks, no alterations to the sound, no enhanced frequencies (ps, what hi fi didnt pay attension to that and it only shows that they dont know how to test high end equipment). The sound will be as good as your source and the recordings.

The phono stage is as good as it gets in an Integrated amplifier.

All the shortcomings of your system will be exposed so if you gear is not up to the task and you are after suger coated sound buy something else, if you are after natural, true to life, warm sound then buy it without regrets, its an amplifier for life.
I have owned this amplifier for along time so sure, Iam happy for the fact that it can handle any high end source with out becoming abottle neck (or lets just say I will ran out of money long before it happens).

Hi!
Ive got the A-s3000 and now considering a Rega Rp 10 turntable. Have anyone tried out the phono stage of the 3000? Rega has the aria RIAA which gotten good reviews. What’s yours opinions on this? Should I stick with the phono amp in the 3000 or instead consider the Aria amp?
thanks
/Joakim 
I used the phono section of the A-S3000 for a while with an Ortofon Quintet Black.  It was really good, but I moved up to a Parasound JC3+ as I was still wanting more out of my vinyl.  Compating the two, at the same volume setting, the JC3+ is easily ~50-60% louder than the on-board phonostage and at the same time ~75-80% lower noise floor.  I would say if you are just getting into vinyl and have any MM cart or a more musical MC (think like a Quintet Blue or Cadenza Bronze) then the on-board phono would be perfect for you.  If you have a higher-end table and are hungry for dynamic range, "slam", and power/presence at lower volumes, then you will want a higher-end separate. 

Hope that helps!  Glad to hear others enjoying this fine Yammy! 
Anyone using the Yamaha ASXXXX as a power amp with an outboard Pre?

Just curious how that works out. I have a tube Rogue RP-5 that I just love
I have not hear the Yamaha nor the Luxman, but wanted to point out that they are kind of natural competitors for features and price, so I'd recommend the comparisons.
@aberyclark  I am considering it with a PS Audio BHK pre.  I'm wondering if I can eek out a bit more definition and air (and add a smidge of warmth to my B&Ws).  
What other big company also builds about every kind of musical instrument and has for a LONG time?
If Yammy built bag-pipes I would buy them .