What happened to the AM/FM tuner???

I want to add an AM/FM tuner component, but apparently no one makes this any more!! Every AM/FM tuner I see for sale is integrated with an amplifier, cd-player, or other thing I don't want/need.

All I want is an AM/FM tuner with RCA line level output - no built in amplifier, no built in cd player, nothing else!!
lupinthe3rd
I highly recommend getting a Logitech Squeezebox and a good DAC and switching to internet radio instead of AM/FM. The Squeezebox gives you access to tons of channels and the sound quality is at least as good as FM in most cases. Using my Squeezebox I can access the streams of most of my local stations, although I seldom do because they all suck.
Try the new Sony HD Radio Receiver. It can be found on Amazon for $100 and supposedly it sounds great. People even complain that it does not have speakers to make it a "Radio".
I recently purchased a 1960 Sherwood S-2000 tube tuner for $15 at an antiques store. I replaced the broken dial string and recapped it with Sonicaps and 1 Auricap (output coupling cap) and it sounds Great! It's mono, but I really don't miss the stereo at all. It does have a separate MPX output (for forward compatibility with the not-yet-introduced FM Stereo). It pulls in the stations well and has a very liquid sound.
That said, I'm building the Bob Fitzgerald MPX converter to see how it sounds in stereo - for the price I can't go wrong.
I am also searching for a good FM tuner but also experience the relative lack of good classical music stations in the NY area with the exception of WQXR which has a lot of commercials during the daytime hours. I presently use a Vector Research VR 7000 as my tuner, with pretty good results, and although it brings in the station better than my Denon, I have no A/B switch in which to experiment. Does anyone have any knowledge of the VR 7000 receiver, and have any suggestions for a decent but not expensive tuner? I use it with my Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and Sonus Faber Home edition speakers.
Radio stations happened to the radio tuner. Listening to music on radio anymore is like trying to empty the ocean with a teaspoon..its pointless to get so little material out of so much to offer. IMHO