Musicians?

I'm curious to know how many of the audiophiles out there are actual musicians, or have formally studied music?

If so, what is your primary instrument or vocation?

What equipment do you use and, in an audiophile sense, what do you look for in the sound of your components?

I have studied classical guitar for about 8 years, with about 5 years of informal guitar prior to that. I find myself trying to get the most "realistic" and detailed sound from my components, more similar to a studio sound than to a colored presentation. My setup consists of martin logans, monitor audios, mccormack amp and passive preamp, meridian front end, msb dac.
nnyc
FWIW - it just so happens that on this very page right now - there are comments on four systems all with Evolution Acoustics MM3's. I haven't heard one yet but I 'd hazard a guess that drums sound pretty good on them (they have what it takes...)!
I play guitar, bass, drums and a little keyboards. My home studio is Cubase/Tascam based. I also have begun building Metro Amps from George Metropoulos and would love to build one for any audiophile musicians.

Steve
All the musicians I've known had relatively "average" systems and couldn't care less about sound quality. In fact, they thought it strange that anyone would care that much about sound quality to assemble a "nice" system.

Now admittedly these were all rock musicians so maybe their hearing was impaired. Some still say "huh?" a lot while sadly, some are no longer with us.
Student of music since the age of 7, which, is about 50 years ago. Played Alto Sax, Tenor, Bari, some clarinet, in Bands, orchestras etc.
Played professionally from the age of 13, funny story. Earned money for dating all though high school. Loved it.
Did not make a profession of it though at 12 I read Satchmo, and wanted to live in New Orleans like Louie Armstrong...
I think that many musicians may have poor quality systems, though I am not sure it speaks to any point other than a possible lack of awareness that they may have about high end audio, unfortunately similar to that of the general public.

Great Question!!
Larry
I'm curious to know how many of the audiophiles out there are actual musicians, or have formally studied music?

I studied the Accordian for 5 years, Mom was a Lawrence Welk fan.

If so, what is your primary instrument or vocation?

I don't currently play any musical instrument other than the Piano for pleasure. I currently work as a Mechanical Supervisor for J&J.

What equipment do you use and, in an audiophile sense, what do you look for in the sound of your components?

I have a Basis turntable/arm, ZYX cartridge, Marantz SA-11S1 (modified), VAC Avatar Super integrated amp and Verity Audio Parsifal Encore speakers.

I look for components that can reproduce the 'resin on the bow' with strings, having grown up with a couple of sisters that played the violin. I also had two sister's play the clarinet, and I listen for the 'palpable' reed sound. Finally, I listen for gear that can replicate the harmonic 'pluck of the string' that I've heard for many years with my Mother's mandolin.

Cheers,
John