Circuit City is Closing, Liquidating

I know most of us here on this site probably don't shop there, but what impact other than the obviously painful loss of jobs. How does this bode for the other stores? More and better sales?
Thoughts?

Larry
lrsky
Trejla,

I hark back to my friend's experience of, and this is a quote from an 'expert' at CC: "Sir, what does A/C mean to you?", when asked about an A/C adaptor.

Epitaphs are easy as they are now out of business--sort of like writing a movie review, or Broadway play review after they have tanked. But this is/was not an epitaph. Merely an observation on the sad state of affairs at CC.

Theaudiotweek pointed out that CC's decline (recent economic issues nothwithstanding) could be traced back to the elimination of their 'professional sales staff', I only concur with his, and many others assessments. When one goes into an electronics store and the paid help doesn't know what A/C is, what hope could these people have for appealing to any serious customer. This doesn't mean that the people they had working there weren't trying, or didn't work hard, it only relfects on the hiring, training philosophy of the company, in this case, Circuit City.
They spent by actual accounting tens of Millions in advertising, yet would seemingly only hire totally unqualified, then, compounding the problem, untrained help. This is part of a larger problem with some of the work forces in place today in various companies. It goes to a larger problem of values or lack thereof.

Think about what could become of McDonalds if they would actually sell quality food instead of high fat, low nutrition, artery clooging goop--yet advertise at a rate of hundreds of millions of dollars. Why not put some of that money that they use for advertising, into their finished product.

I remember Jim Thiel coming into Kathy Gornik's office while he was developing the CS2.3, several years ago. She and I were planning a Northeast trip to visit dealers.
He stood there for a while looking at a Capacitor. Kathy, knowing Jim was lost in thought said, "What is it Jim?"
He said, "Well, this cap is waaaay better than the one I was using in prototype and I'd like to use it, but it costs four or five times as much."
Kathy, without missing a beat said, "Who are you trying to please here Jim?"

The message, one I never forgot was-- "you do this because it reflects who you are, and what you want to put out into the marketplace--your creation."
The speakers were completed using the much more expensive part.
This to me Trelja, is an example of what all companies should try to do...CC being the polar opposite of this basic theology, IMHO. I know that selling is a tough profession, I did it, taught it, for more than 35 years. Everyone CAN'T and SHOULDN'T be in sales, any more than in Accounting or Medicine.
Companies need to create an identity...work to their strengths, and be consistant. CC didn't do this and paid the price. Sometimes in life we're victims of circumstance...sometimes we plot a course for failure. They belong in the second category, and your one good experience doesn't alter this fact. You and I are usually on a similar page, so I apologise if my observation upset you. No malice toward the hardworking young people at CC, just a silly 'caricature' of a fictional sales experience, meant to add a little deflective humor to some tough economic times.
Within that 'silly story' is a kernel of truth though. How many times have any or all of us gone into a store and had an experience similar to that in the little one act play?
Trela is right, no one should take pleasure in the company going under. However, and this is a big however, my "customer experiences" (they really use these terms)at BB and CC were usually very similar to Lrsky and very disappointing. I never had any interaction with the "Magnolia" personnel, but most of their staff had little if any training, other than to push extended warranties mercilessly. I'm glad that Trelja had a good experience but lets not forget that BB, CC and the like are there to "push product". If you get what you want at a good price, its (from their standpoint) almost entirely accidental.
I have also had very poor experiences at CC but the one that blows my mind happened a few weeks ago at a hi end salon. I had recently sold a pair of speakers and had the budget to spend up to $20,000 on a pair of floorstanders. I told the salesman that I had just sold my current speakers and I was looking for some replacement speakers and my budget could be stretched up to $20,000. The salesman told me that I would need to set an appointment. (Remember they have a walkin retail store & I told him I have money to spend today) Now I know that some stores require set times so they can give you full attention but this was on a week day and the store was completely empty and there were two speakers already set up that fit in my budget. Perhaps he was working on another project or he just really didn't want to bother plus there was another salesman there doing nothing.
I later that day when to another audio store (call it store B)and the owner when out of her way to set up 3 different set of speakers and let me listen. I will never know what the other speakers sound like because I will never visit (store A) again and I will proably buy from
store B within the next few weeks.

My point is this, with the economic conditions being where they are today and being totally blown off by a high end store after telling the salesman that I have money to spend today some of these businesses deserve to go under. Perhaps this salesman was trained at CC.
Hi Bobheinatz,
Your story is not unique and I have run into this from time to time. Of the 5-6 higher end stores in my area, I would not step foot in 4 of them. Which is a shame to the customers(us) and to the manufacturers that that particular dealer sells. Some of the stores I have been to are much like your store B, and go out of their way to help. But too many are like store A. Perhaps they think too highly of themselves, or are just out of touch. While $20K is a lot of money for speakers, I know plenty of car salesman right now that would leap over themselves to sell a $20K car.

I for one am fed up with the snooty attitiude of dealers. If a crappy dealer has the exclusive agreement for a product line you are interested in your area, you are forced to go to that dealer alone.

I now contact the manufacturer if I have a bad experience. The internet goes a long way. If there are a lot of complaints against 1 dealer, it makes a difference. Good luck on your search.
Steel