true confession

my brother was in town so he wanted to hear my new configuration. we had been out shooting that morning[ with ear protection of course] and very hot so i was not paying much attention. he listened for a few minutes and made some obligatory comments about how good it sounded then asked me a few probing questions about the image. i gave a very detailed explanation of what i thought i had achieved with my latest breakthrough mods and placement. after he headed back to kansas i walked thru the room and saw the mono light was on!!!! i guess when i handed him the remote one of us inadvertantly had hit the button. i called him and demanded he turn around and bactrack 50 miles to listen again. hahahah. anybody else got a story like this? i felt like a idiot....but he is used to humoring me. ha
hotmailjbc
Hot, I suggest double up on hearing protection. Plugs -and- phones. I don't enjoy shooting in the heat, I rarely get a chance to shoot these days anyway. If your ears are ringing, and I've been there, you are risking future problems that could end your enjoyment of music. -take care!
blkadr, you are right. i had enough protection for my guns [.38 and .380]but there was a guy there that pulled out a hand cannon that was LOUD. my ears were slightly ringing which i,m usually very careful about since going to a ted nugent concert in 77 that caused my ears to ring for 2 days. i,m going to get some headphones like you recommend. i never go duck hunting [small blinds] or concerts anymore without ear plugs.
viridian, in mono the soundstage was right between the magnepans and when i put the stereo mode on the image opened across the entire end of the room. i have read about people enjoying the beatles and other recordings that were done in mono. is this what you are refering to? thanks , because in my room i don,t think you would have preferred the mono set on.
Thanks Hotmail, I'll take your word for it; you were there, I was not. But to answer your question, no that's not what I was referring to. I simply find mono to be more natural no matter if the original recording was recorded in mono, or not.

I simply don't hear imaging in the concert hall in the way that I do in a stereo setup. Mono doesn't get there either, it's just quite a bit closer, IMHO.
Good show, Hot. As to the theme, about 20 years ago a friend and I observed that some tiny Missions sounded better than some other big speakers in a showroom. I was informed that they had blown tweeters. We listened again, they still sounded better!