Grounding question?

Hi to all...

I hope I can get help with my problem... I bought a co-op here in NY which is in a old building. My video is horrible and I don't know what to do. There is an interference on both my televisions that is just driving me crazy...

The interference looks like lines running across the tv,at times it looks like the whites are bleeding....

I've bought pc audio outlets getting rid of the 15 cent outlets that came with the apartment. Still nothing, I've even went as far as bought a Richard Gray substation for the bedroom and a pole pig for the living room and still nothing.

I've upgraded all of the powercords and still nothing...

I've spoke with an electrician and he said that maybe the grounding wire being used is cheap or the wrong kind of wire.. What? Can that be the problem?

He also mentioned that it may be interference from another outlet that isn't connected properly such as a light switch...

Can anyone help? Thanks for any information..
soundsvision

... He also mentioned that it may be interference from another outlet that isn't connected properly such as a light switch...

Any light dimmers in the apartment?

Rich
Start with your neighbors. Does anyone else have the problem? If it is electrical, they presumably would have the same problem if they are on the same panel as you.

they may also have solved the problem. Ask the doorman...he may know what the prior occupier did.

Is this the same kind of lines that can occur if someone plugs in a vacuum cleaner and starts using it?
Hi, thanks for the responses, I check with the owner of the first floor apartment who is on the same line as myself, and he does not have this problem, all of the other apartments on my line are empty besides myself and the first floor.

There are no dimmers in the house but there are some light switches that are lighted. Meaning the switch itself lights on when the light itself is off.

Do you think it can be that? There are also ceiling fans in all the rooms? I spoke with the president of the building and she said the previous owner used cheap unlicensed eletricians to do the work.

Now I spoke with a licensed electrician and the price he gave me to check and find the problem is really high, 4k high....

So now I don't know what to do.
There could be a sump pump, a fire escape light, or something else always running. Shutting one circuit (breaker/fuse) off at a time may help. Then if it stops, see what is on there.

I guess at $4K a day, maybe I should have become an electrician there.