12ax7's

PARAGON PREAMP THAT USES 12AX7'S....I NEED TO KNOW
WHICH ONES WILL CREATE MAGIC...
128x128nealvito
Wrong, Fatparrot, the tubes ARE the sole gain devices for this player. In fact, they impart a controlling influence on the sound of my otherwise colorless reference system.

There are many audiophiles who will spare no expense for whatever is a hot commodity, like pricey tubes. I just settle for glorious music.

There are even more who buy such tubes in hopes of rescuing their aurally "gifted" component chain. A futile move, in my experience.
Telefunken ECC83/12AX7, are good. But so are Amperex Bugle Boys, Mullard CV4004, and for that matter, Sylvania Black Plate 12AX7's. They're just different sounding. In the right system, to the right tastes, all of them will produce magic. Telefunkens, are smooth, rich, warm tubes, with a rounded bass. Amperex, are robust, dynamic tubes, with an excellent bass. The Sylvania's are lively, not as rich sounding, tubes. So only with system, and personal tastes matching, will you acheive, the magic, you are looking for.
Fletchj is right on the money. I prefer the rich, warm sound of the Teles, personally. I've tried all the other mentioned above and I fully agree with Fletch's description. Cheers,
A 5751 will give a bit less gain, but it also has less distortion than a 12ax7. A much quieter tube.
RCA made a tripe mica version of this tube that is very durable and wonderful sounding. Look around for them.. well worth the effort.
mike
I agree with Fletchj and Detlof, it really depends on your taste and the circuit it's used in. The best 12AX7s I've found for my taste in Jadis equipment have been Telefunkens, and the best Tele's I've ever used are their premium E803CCs. Much quieter than the standard 12AX7s, and they last forever.