Looking for a great tube headphone amp

Any suggestions? I could go up to $1000.00. Also, any thoughts concerning the Grado RS-1 vs. the Sennheiser HD600 headphones?
twopippis
I have an MG Head DT that I'm pretty happy with. Sound improved alot with EI tubes. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's. They are very accurate sounding, but somehow a little unexciting. I have a pair of Grado SR 325's that are a little more dynamic and exciting, but are more prone to ear burn and sometimes sound a little congested. I enjoy my Stax 303 classic set the most, though the sound may be dark to some ears. They are probably inaccurate compared to the Sennheisers. More fun to listen to though, and being primarily a speaker guy, I like them because they sound more like speakers. You might want to look into trying out a set of recent model stax lambda series (sr 303 or 404)headphones with a tube amp (SRM T1, SRM T1s, SRM 006t etc.) Older stax headphones tend to be a bit more unforgiving and hard sounding.
I would check out the Berning MicroZOTL and the EarMax (maybe the Wheatfield too...I haven't heard as much about that one).

You really need to listen to the Grado's and Sennheiser HD600 and make your own decision. They're both great headphones and both very different.That needs to be your decision, based on your own prefernce.
I've owned an MF X-CanV2, Wheatfield HA-1, and ASL MG Head OTL. My preference and current amp is the MG Head. I like a tubey laid back amp with headphones so I use the transformer output rather than the OTL. All three are very good headphone amps. The Wheatfield can also serve as a single input preamp (which is how I got into the whole tube-based system). As described by the folks at the HeadRoom, the Wheatfield is less tubey and more dynamic. That same description has been used when talking about the Berning microZOTL (which can be used as a 1w amp). For a little over 300, the MG Head is hard to beat though. -- You can find interesting discussions of these and other headphone amps at www.head-fi.org. Good luck.
I'll cast my vote for the ASL MG Head amp driving the Sennheiser HD600. I don't find it excessively tubey, very good bass, excellent dynamics and revealing without being brittle, an excellent combination!