tube pre for bryston

Finally decided and bought the Bryston 14BSST. Thinking of putting a tube pre in front of it to drive my Legacy Focus mains. I will be looking used since I still need to upgrade my Pre/Pro for the video side soon. I have only read positive things hear about combing ss amps with tube pres. I heard a great combo (nameless for purposes of this conversation)and did like the sound, unfortuantely not a combo I can afford. Any comments and sugestions?
Thanks, dave
dave1117
I have had good results driving a Bryston 4BST with a SF Line 3. I am using the combination to drive a pair of Ohm Walsh 300 speakers.
try conrad jonhson,i have a cj pv-11 with nos mullards
with a bryston 4b ,exellent and suprising result
"I have only read positive things hear about combing ss amps with tube pres"

Let me be the first one to tell you it's not all that it's hyped up to be! I have found tube pre's to be very noisey, immense amounts of detail is obscured by both the noise and rolled off topend. The bass is soggier, the presentation is much slower. The midrange does have the magic but it came off to me as synthetic/artificial, but I can see how folks could enjoy the sound, it wasn't unpleasant, just not realistic, but must confess vocals and acoustics are intoxicating. The soundstage was the most impressive I've ever heard and there was a nice warmth and ambiance, the fleshing out of objects with solid body is great, but, overall, the tradeoffs where to severe, I couldn't live with it. Just bought a Musical Fidelity Preamp, it has a touch of the warmth and liquidity of the tubes, with great body, imaging and richness, along with and all the great aspects of a superior ss preamp, such as speed, power, clarity, extension and transparency (but a touch of coloration), and much better fits my tastes. Your tastes may vary, and obviously a few folks do enjoy a tube preamp, but I imagine it to be a very system sensitive matchup to be worth the tradeoffs.