Usher DMD tweeter upgrade: worth it?

Is the Usher DMD tweeter a BIG upgrade over the BE? I have BE-718s (US ver) and like them a lot, but we always want to take it to the next level if possible, right? The cost of tweeters alone is $700, which is pretty steep, so is it worth the price?
eugene81
There really worth it, it''s ten steps ahead comparing to the Beryllium. What they say about the Berylium, it's a better tweeter than the Diamond that's a big fairytale. The Diamond is has more 3d picture, better staging, more detail. I bought this tweeter in the netherlands at Wenw audio in Enschede. This is a great usherdealer in our country.

Stefan
Hi Stefan, It looks like: John is the tallest guy in the
class but Mark is longer. There is just one dealer or
importeur in the Netherlands of Usher. I am the only and
the single uncle of Maria in Holland so she is entitled
to refer to me as 'the most handsome uncle in Holland '.
To be (more) informative you should also mention the price
as well the circumstance if you needed to return your Be
tweeters to this 'great dealer'. BTW I bought from the same
dealer my Usher BE-20 but never heard from him since.
But I must agree with the fact that this dealer is inconparable because there is no other one to compere with.
Regards,
I have Be-20 with the original tweeter and last year got the new DMD tweeter installed.

First I have to say that I could not have care less about beryllium tweeter being beryllium/titanium tweeter. I bought the original speakers because I like what I heard and at that price point, I could not find anything locally that I prefer over Be-20. When it came to light that the tweeter is not pure beryllium, that certainly did not make my speakers performed any worse than when I thought it was pure beryllium.

Then I had a chance to hear Usher with new DMD tweeter and I did not hesitate to have the tweeters changed at all. As good as the original tweeters were, the DMD tweeter is smoother, richer sounding without losing any detail. Not that the old tweeter was thin sounding, the new tweeters just improved upon the older tweeters significantly IMHO.
Interesting post...

I have owned 520s, V602s, Tiny Dancers, and now Mini Dancer 2s. I have the BE version and couldn't be happier (the tweeter could be made out of cardboard and I wouldn't care). The BE version sounds heavenly and is one of the most positively reviewed drivers in the last 3 years (by people who could care less about what it's made of, they care about the sound). One local Usher dealer in Phoenix who sold Magicos pointed to the Tiny Dancers sitting next to his V3s and said "that is the best tweeter in my store".

It seems to me the upgrade is a personal preference. It's like asking "do I buy a Ferrari or Bently?". My local dealer was very honest and said the value of the upgrade to the DMD tweeter is very model specific. Certain models there is a big improvement others very little. Even then it's what your ear hears. I have listened to the DMD tweeter in Tiny Dancers and Mini Dancer2s. I feel it is an excellent tweeter on par with some of the best available. If people are hearing it as "bright" or "harsh" they should start looking at the rest of the system or give it time to break in (or leave their obvious issues with Usher at home).

However, I believe Usher has made a big marketing mistake by pricing an upgrade so high. They missed a big oppportunity to reward current customers for their loyalty. They raised the model price on the Mini Dancer 2s by $200 but the upgrade is $700. What kind of message does that send? It tells me they are not looking for a long term relationship with their customers. It's kind of like a cell phone company that offers better deals to new customers than current customers. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth and when you need another phone you shop around instead of automatically going back to your current carrier.

I personally can't justify the $700 difference. Usher's BE tweeter sounds to good to me. I don't want to take a chance and screw up an already great thing (especially for $700).
WELL SAID SUTEETAT, i have a pair of BE-20 which i also upgraded to DMD, my findings are 100% with yours.
I'm a USHER DEALER in Australia. The DMD tweeter, i was told still have BERYLLIUM in it.