VTL Tetrode/Triode

I'm just curious if any VTL amp owners (I have a MB-450) with triode/tetrode switchability have any preference for one or the other mode, depending on the type of music one is listening to.

Even though some music is a no-brainer (e.g., a Mozart piano trio sounds much better in triode mode, and a Mahler symphony sounds better in tetrode), sometimes I'm hard pressed to choose. Small-scale jazz or blues can sound good in either mode.

Any thoughts?
hgabert
On my MB-450 (and they have plenty of power), I now only listen to Triode with solo instruments (or solo voice). For everything else, Tetrode is far superior in overall satisfaction. Even with small ensembles (duos, trios, quartets, etc.), Tetrode gets the timing right, the individuals come together and really play as a group.

As an example where this is easy to hear, try Brahms piano trios, e.g., Trio No.3, op. 101, Fontenay trio (on Teldec), first movement, when the piano gets really hammered. In Triode mode, the piano is just too loud, reverberates, is simply overbearing, and the overall melodic structure gets lost. With tetrode, what a difference. Sure, the trio is farther back in the room, but the melodic structure is intact. And it puts a smile on my face!

Happy listening.
Hgabert - This is what I wonder: could tetrode mode be inherently superior in some ways, or are your observational results mostly a manifestation of the power issue? I have a feeling that all inherent superiority may actually lie with triode mode, but that for certain music - played back beyond a certain volume, through certain speakers in certain sized rooms - the power advantage of tetrode will out, even with 450's. The comparison in your case would presumably be your 450's in tetrode vs. a pair of 750's in triode. I realize that the 200+ watts available from your amps in triode seems like plenty of power, but I can sometimes reach the limits of those same watts with my amps in tetrode, and I think there's a reason VTL makes the 750's and 1250's.

As mentioned above, I was more of your frame of mind before I swapped the 6550C's for the KT-88EH's. The 6550C's didn't quite seem to thrive in triode the way the KT-88EH's do. And as of very recently, the amps are now powered through an ExactPower EP-15a voltage regulator/waveform correction unit (along with the rest of the system, followed as usual by the balanced power isolation tranformers in my API Power Wedge Ultra for the sources and pre), and there's even more physical specificity and consistent clarity on tap in either mode.
Hmm . . . good points, Zaikesman. I've never listened to the MB-750 in triode mode in my room, and they could certainly sound better than the 450 in tetrode. Who knows?

But the comparison here is tetrode/triode for a given unit, and yes, maybe that's unfair to triode (with only half the power). However, listening to small-scale ensembles shouldn't tax the power requirements too much.

As far as your swapping of tubes is concerned, do you need to do anything special before you swap KT-88s for 6550s in your MB-185? I'm wondering if I could do the same, if I had the urge to do that at some point in time. And what did you do with your input/driver (phase-splitter) tubes? Did you change them as well? Just curious.
Zaikesman is absolutely correct in his response above what your describing in triode is power limitations problem definitely had the 450 just wasn't quite enough power in triode sometimes so now have 750 no more power limitation issues. The 750 is sonically better than the 450 and it's not just because of the added power its just better in every way possible. If your VTL doesn't have the infini caps currently I would highly recommended you get them installed they are a rather significant improvement in my system for sure.
I'm sure Mejames is right about the 750's, and the comparison is a little unfair not only because of the added power, but also because the Reference amps have an improved input amplifier circuit topology and power supply, not to mention the better parts. Upgrading the coupling caps in my 185's is probably the next step, although going to 250's or 450's could also be in the picture eventually (the Ref amps are too big and too much money for me - and besides, I like to think I can and should be happy without having to have the best :-)

The tube swap to KT-88's requires nothing more than installing the new tubes and biasing as normal. (This is not the case for KT-90's, which need resistor changes.) The driver 6350's are the same as always (there's not much to choose from with this tube, NOS being tough to come by and limited to just a couple of options I believe). I've played with several different input tube varieties of 12AT7's - maybe I'll do a thread on the results sometime.

About your comment that "small-scale" music shouldn't present very taxing power demands, just today I did some comparisons between tetrode and triode using Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West" MFSL CD. Jazz doesn't get much more intimate than this: just a sax, bass fiddle, and a small trap set with a little percussion. No chords at all, and the tunes are taken at easy tempos and volumes, with plenty of space left in between the notes. Still, there are differences to be heard when listening between the two modes - even at moderate levels - that could relate to power, such as bass control and dynamic range. As ususal, those catagories go to tetrode, while overall naturalness of timbre, particularly from the low midrange up, goes to triode. Which presentation sounds more 'real' is a bit of a toss-up, depending on what sonic qualities you prioritize.

I think that to approximate reproducing the true sound of any acoustic instrument or voice, no matter how delicate the music or spare the arrangement, still presents an enormous challenge to any power amplifier, and I tend to agree with VTL's position that a lot of the inevitable compromise is simply related to a lack of available ultimate power. The task, of course, is to make a power amp that can deliver the needed level of clean power and yet do it instantaneously and with good musicality. I guess VTL probably does as good a job of trying to give us this as anybody, but there's a price to paid both monetarily and in size/weight/heat/appearance, and besides most speakers can't take full advantage of dynamically unlimited amps anyway. Most audiophiles will never attempt this, and the SET/horns crowd would pooh-pooh the notion, but my suspicion is that a home 2-channel system utilizing several thousand watts of multi-amped power would not necessarily be overkill strictly from a sonic accuracy standpoint. (You here Sean?... :-)