Audible Illusions L-2 vs. Cary SLP-98

I'm building a two channel system. The only thing left to buy is a preamp. Two preamps I'm interested in is the Audible Illusions L-2 and the Cary SLP-98. ( no phono ) Is one better than the other ? I have heard the Cary (sounded very good) but not the AI . Or should I conceder another preamp ? Any thoughts would be appreciated. ( must have a remote ).

So far I have purchased,, Vandersteen 2cs sig's ,, Simaudio Equinox CD player ,, Belles 350A amp ..

Thank you, Stumpie
stumpie
I just remembered last night that bigdaddyaudiowill had some Spendors after reading a review in an old Listener.
I can probably scare up an attorney... or 248.
I hope it wasn't the CAL- I liked that thing...
Did Dale let him shoehorn some Soundlabs into the house??
Maggie 3.6?? Wilsons??
He's looking at Maggies. The cd player came from Audio Warehouse---had a few nuts and bolts rattling around inside. The BIG dog got me another one.
Going to be interesting how he slips those babies by Dale if you know what I mean!
I have owned both and I still have the Cary. There is no comparison. The Cary will remain in my system for a long time. I have had BAT, Audiable Ill. and Audio Researh preamps and the Cary does one thing that these don't. It sounds like live music. It presents a lifelike soundstage with unbelievable depth. the only other preamp to conside would be the CJ17ls2