Guitar Solos

As a serious music listener and a musician,(although I am a drummer) nothing makes me shiver like a good guitar solo. It's seems to be a dying art,at least in popular music. Still lots of good guitar in blues and jazz. Some of my favs : Dear John by Jack Semple ,La Grange By Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Aqualung By Martin Barre with Jethro Tull and Bluest Blues by Alvin Lee. I'd love to check out some other peoples favs, a couple old and maybe a couple new??
billbeat
I'm gonna take some heat for this, but I still like Eddie Van Halen's solo on M.J.'s "Beat It"...and Stevie Ray Vaughan's work on Bowie's "China Girl".

Good thread, solos are much harder to come by these days. I agree with the EVH, Vai, and Satriani comments above. They have so many great ones that it would be hard to pick a favorite. One of my favorite albums for rock guitar solos is by (yes, a hair band)Dokken on Back for the Attack. George Lynch has an incredible guitar tone on this album and the album contains his sig. piece, "Mr Scary", an instrumental.
You might want to pick these two up:

Neal Schon - i on u

John Scofield - that's what I say [plays the music of ray charles]

Enjoy,
L
I'm surprised there are only a few SRV mentions. Probably because most already know of him is my guess. Regardless, I think "Lenny" is one of his greatest.
More of a 'lick' than a solo, but Brian May on Bohemian Rhapsody...

Then Stevie R V's version of Little Wing...

Santana's Samba Pa Ti.....

goosebump city!