Jazz Big Band Recommendations?

Are there any other Big Band fanatics out there? I'm looking for some new stuff. Not the usual oldies (Basie, Ellington, etc.), but some good modern big bands that may not be that well known.
nighthawk
Nighthawk, thanks for the input. I also went out and bought the same two discs that you bought. Wow what a kickin group. Lots of styles, and lots of appearances from greats.

Thanks,
Michael Wolff
I just ordered Big Phat Band off Ebay a few days ago. Sounds like I'm in for a big surprise. Have any of you guys tried any of the CDs I mentioned earlier?
Nighthawk, if you like Big Band stuff, you must have a pretty good system huh?
boy, did you guys hit my sweet spot with is thread.

Here's the webpage for one of the best kept secrets in Big Band Jazz: http://www.knoxjazz.org/. CDs available.

Also, I've been doing a lot of traveling lately to Paducah, KY. You won't believe this but the Basie band was there in March....and Maynard Ferguson was there just a few weeks ago.....in Paducah Kentucky! BTW, I think Maynard also has a new Big Band CD out.
Blurock, thanks for the tip on the KJO. Which CD of theirs would you recommend? By the way, have you ever heard of the Chris McDonald Orchestra from Nashville, TN? I'm not sure if it is a regular band, or just a bunch of Nashville studio musicians that meet for an occassional recording. In any case, they have a couple of outstanding releases on Green Hill Music with real generic titles like Big Band Classics and Big Band Favorites. At first glance you might think they are Musak type CDs but once you start listening that will be quickly dismissed. All of the charts ARE old standards but Chris has a really fresh arranging style and the band is really tight. In addition, they are superbly recorded. I use the Big Band Favorites CD for auditioning equipment, it is so well done. It is the best sounding CD recording of a big band I have. (I think the best sounding record would probably be the direct to disc version of Harry James' "King James Version" on Sheffield. Just incredible.)