John Lennon

As this is the 20th anniversary of the tragic death of John Lennon i would like to share my respect with all Audiogon members.
mikec
The sum was greater than the parts.Paul and Georgie have always been my favorites.Own several Wings albums,and Georgie albums. In this century Lennon/ Mc Cartney, unquestionably the best song writers.(Mozart and those guys didn't have to write lyrics)But they were at their best united. Love Georgie,a lot,then Paul/John and Ringo a bit.On the White, many of Georgie's(Long Long &'Guitar Gently Weeps) are my favs.Ab Rd;Something, and HereComesTheSun-Geo's songs. More famous/popular than Jesus Christ? Talk about somebody in need of some coaching on giving those "sound bites" to the press.Double Fantasy was on it's way DOWN the charts big time, at the time of his TRAGIC Death. I used to listen to Casey Casem back then.Sometimes the best thing about the forums is the back and forth banter(Mother Tereasa/Frank Zappa)Timing is everything;glad your posts were consecutive.Sometimes a neutral light is more eluminating. I guess our country is more infamous for assassinating its leaders and famous folk.Any tennis fan is probably aware, the sicko who stabbed Monica never did any jail time.NONE!!Look at Belfast/Palistine/Rodesia/ Sareavo.(sorry would take me all day to do the spelling) I guess what I'm saying isn't to flattering on man's treatment of his fellow man. But it WAS, what I thought was John's most endearing quality.As survivors, and in this season (not just) we must Give Peace A Chance.
I live near the Dakota, and remember seeing John Lennon walk by, what a cool person he seemed to be. His work and efforts helped me and so many people to move forward in their life that it is worth a moment to remember him with gratitude.
Must a musical icon be beyond fault? World changing music, messages of love and tolerance, tempered by personal failings {Hey Jude where's your dad?}. Musical genius and culture changing icon? Certainly. Great man? Can't say. I loved the Beatles ever since I heard them on my transistor radio as a kid. Loved the stuff he put out post Beatles. I wish I had never read about his relationship with his own son. He did not think of himself as a god( the Jesus Christ comments were clearly misconstrued) but he and the Beatles really did change the world. But he was human. He has touched us all and I honor his memory.
Perhaps any negative comments I have concerning John Lenin are best reserved for another time. I respect how many of you have deep feelings for the man. Any comments I have made are not in reference to John Lenin. I know very little about him personally and I don't pretend to know the heart of every public person. My comments are primarily aimed at the over-significance that we give to famous people.
I listented to "A Day In The Life" and cried, just like I did 20 years ago (same vinyl).