Reversing Polarity -- Voodoo or Easy Tweak?

In a recent thread I noticed a comment about reversing polarity of speaker wires on both speakers which sparked one of my earliest audiophile memories.

On the liner or cover notes of Dave Grusin: Discovered Again on direct to disc vinyl, circa 1977, it too recommended reversing the polarity on BOTH speakers, for best sound.

Although my first system was a 25 WPC Technics receiver with Infinity Qa's and lousy speaker wire, I still remember getting very enthusiastic about reversing the polarity and wondering if it did anything.

Can anyone explain this and/or recommend if this is even worth the experiment?
cwlondon
"Perhaps to give their music a distinctive and uniquely different sound."

I thought of that but in the case Of Grusin LP there is this statement;

Audiophile Note: "For optimum transient response and spartial clarity, we recommend that the polarity of BOTH channels be reversed at the speaker terminals(+ output terminal on power amplifier to - terminal on speaker and vice versa), however this procedure is not necessary for for perfectly satisfactory playback."
Jea48

That's it!

....the exact text which inspired this post. I was just working from memory as my LPs have been in storage for 12 years.
There has been a entire book published about phase inversion called "The Wood Effect" by Clark Johnsen [who, I believe, is a long term member of Audio Asylum]. This book has many documented studies concerning listeners' abilities to hear a difference when phase is inverted [both speakers polarity reversed]. Some pretty heady reading, buy people do seem to hear a difference in almost all of studies.