No Audiophiles in Hollywood

A thought just came to me that a lot of movies show us the lives of fictional people doing the everyday things that real people do. However, we never see anyone sitting down and listening to a high end system.

The only thing that I can remember is when the billionaire played by Robert Redford put on an LP on what appeared to be a high end turntable in the movie "Indecent Proposal".

I have never seen exposed tubes on-screen, or an amp of any type for that matter. Big speakers, fuggedaboudit...it seems hifi does not fit the decor scheme of movie sets, or more realistically, audiophiles are rarer on earth than Klingons and Romulans and hollywood does not know of their existence.

It would seem that some of the well heeled actors, directors and producers would own a killer 2 channel system and periodically include one in a scene when the character has discretionary income.

We've all seen scenes with the wife complaining about the husband always watching sports, but never complaining about him pampering his hi-fi rig.

We've all seen characters with automobiles and other toys that we've envied, but never a stereo system to make you salivate.

Anyone ever see a hi-fi system onscreen worth mentioning?

Just a thought.
128x128mitch4t
If Steven Spielberg walked into an audio store, and was mesmerized by say, an Oracle CD transport or turntable, most hi fi store owners:

1) Wouldn't recognize him

2) Would ignore him and/or be really condescending because he was wearing jeans

3) Would discourage and squash his enthusiasm for any stunningly exotic component and attempt instead to get him focused on some tweaky garage built no name brand

4) Finally, would say that, no, he couldn't borrow or return any equipment - even if it wasn't even plugged in during a blockbuster Hollywood scene -- and there would be a 25% restocking fee.

Arrogance and incompetence have killed far more 2 channel audio industry sales than video and and the internet combined.
In 'The Reader', the attorney (Joseph Finnes) had a stack with an integrated amp and a cassette deck in in 1970's office. No speakers were visible. Pretty good movie too.
In the movie, 'Dinner For Schmucks':

A pair of MBL speakers in the apartment. No electronics are shown though.
In American Psycho in the main character Patrick Bateman has KEF 105.3 speakers that are visible in a couple of scenes. The placement is a little off I think. ;) The stereo rack components I couldn't make out though.

do search on youtube for American Psycho Hip to be Square and you'll see video where you can see parts of the sound system. The scene is very graphic though with foul language.
Because high-end audio is just silly business. The greater population could care less about sitting down to listen to music. They are too busy, if they listen they have the perfect system for a busy life, an iPOD. You may think why bother and they are thinking the same thing when we bias a tube or clean a record.