Audio CD-R's versus regular CD-R's?

Hello,

I have a computer cd burner which I use for copying music from friends' "store-bought" cd's. I am wondering if the "audio" cd-r's are really better designed for recording music and have better sound quality than the standard cd-r's, or is this just marketing? The music or audio cd-r's are more expensive so if there is not a difference between these and the standard ones, I'd rather save the money and get the standard ones. Does anybody detect a difference? Also, what brands are recommended to buy?
hamiltonmktg2d2c
First let me say that it is admirable to see you admit to a felony in a public forum; at least your honest. If only murders and drug runners (I do not concider pot a drug) would take lessons from you.

Anyway, to answer your question (I have put a lot of thought into this subject) the only difference I can think of is in the reflective properties of the media used. A cdr 'designed' for music may have better attributes in regards to light refractivity, whereas data cds don't care...they just want to convey this is a 1 or a 0. Same concept as cd mats, or the green pen you can color your cds with which are suppose to help the laser read the pits. The theory (IMO) is valid, but weather or not data cdrs and music cdrs sound different is subjective, and I'm sure would be slight. If you are that worried about sound degredation, buy the cd, as those are stamped and not burned.

Matt
I think audio CD-Rs work (ie. record) in standard home audio Decorders whereas regular CD-Rs will not. Since
you are using a computer CD-burner and not a standard home audio CD recorder to steal your music you will also be able to save on the price of your CD-Rs by using standard CD-Rs. Now if you want to record a radio broadcast or album you will need a home audio CD-recorder and audio specified CD-Rs. I also recall some discussion about the extra price of the audio CD-Rs being partly to pay musicians fees. Internet hoax or not..it sounds fair.
Music CD-Rs have SCMS copy protection encoded in the disc so a copy cannot be made of the copy, and "consumer grade" CD burners can only use this type of CD-R. This is why SCMS CD-Rs are more expensive. Pro CD burners and computer CD burners can use regular CD-Rs and make multiple copies.

As to brand and quality, some swear by Matsui, but I use Maxell and Sony with a Marantz Pro CD Burner with excellent results. There are only a few factories world wide that can make CD-Rs, so regardless of the brand you choose, the blank was made at one of these factories. I do avoid the real cheap CD-R blanks though as I'm hoping the major, ie Sony, can have some influence on quality control. Use 1X or 2X copy speed for best results. Good Luck. Craig
Buy your music; stealing is stealing. How will your favorite artists make a living if no one is willing to pay for their work? "It's an industry problem, let them deal with it"? "the musicians make enough touring to support themselves"? Not when the concert halls are half full thanks to the recession we're in (we're in denial). Until "the music industry" comes up with an equitable solution then you ought to support the people that make music with your hard-earned greenbacks. The traditional way, buy the music. I make compilation CD's of my own all the time (casual listening in the car etc), the difference is I paid for the music in the first place. If we are all here for the love of the music, then you really ought to reconsider how you support the folks that make the music. Megabuck rigs with no new software? No thanks.

To answer your question, the manufacturer of the blanks doesn't seem to make much difference, but like Craig pointed out, burn the music you own at 1x speed.