Fair to change ad from sale to auction?

I am asking for input to know whether an ad placed in the for sale section at a too low offering price, which gets a dozen rapid offers to buy, could be changed to an auction, to best allow the interested parties to resolve the issue of whom to let have it?
Why is the first responder the one you HAVE to sell something to?
And if indeed you get a large number of offers to buy, why not make it an auction?
I know the 'standard' here IS to have to sell to the first request to buy that fulfills the sellers conditions, but why? If I LIKE someone elses offer, and their style, why am I 'supposed' to sell it to someone I get the impression of as a jerk?
Not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering...
elizabeth
If your asking price was meet in full w/no conditions then I would say you should sell the item. If multiple offers were received at full price/no conditions then I would say you could choose which party you wish to do business with depending on the factors you deem important. I agree w/ Lugnut and do the "right thing." It will all come to you next time around.
Missed being able to edit my post, but I wanted to add this: If you applied the same situation to purchasing a set of speakers at a store...Say you had your heart set on a pair of used Soliloquy 6.5's and the local retailer had a set that just came in on trade. You run over there with Visa in hand and they tell you, yes, we have this one chery pair and you are the first here. This is your lucky day as they are only $2500.00!! Well all of a sudden two more savvy shoppers overhear that price and turn around and declare they'd like to buy them too! Though the Internet may work in a different way and can disguise those details, it is essentially what I think you are describing. So who get's the 6.5's? And how do you feel if the salesperson decides to sell them to another of the shoppers simply because he didn't like your attitude? Or realized they could get more so raised the price to $3500?! Ultimately it is up to you, but I think I've made my point (probably oversated it, as usual).

Marco
I think if you state OBO in your add you have the right to take the highest bidder. This includes informing the potential buyers, waiting a day or so and see what happens. However, if you make a deal with someone you MUST stick by your word and as mentioned, "do the right thing."
No, you cannot change you mind. To change the deal would be dishonorable, despicable, and worthy of contempt. You must decide before you post whether it will be a classified ad or an auction. Certainly, you have the right to sell your property to whomever you wish, but if you violate the Audiogon rules, you should justifiably be banned from this venue.
Why would anyone think it would be OK to change from an item offered "For Sale" at a given price, to an auction just because there was more than one person showing interest You can't change the rules after the game has started.