power conditioning - source vs amps

Someone whose opinion I respect has told me that the PS Audio powerplant's work better for source equipment, and the Shunyata Hydra 8 works better for the amps. Has anyone else had that experience or care to comment?
johnax
Dedicated crappy electric is dedicated crap. Throw a power conditioner (a great one like the Shunyata, the Sound Application, Audio Magic) and you'll be set free.... just some FWIW. warren
My experiences parallel Rsbeck's regarding both amplifiers and digital. I'd start with dedicated lines and plug the amps into the wall. Regarding digital, I own a Sound Application plc and have dedicated lines. The Sound Application is a fine plc but it does not isolate components (nor does the Shunyata or Audio Magic). This means that if you plug preamp and digital components, or multiple digital components, into one plc, you do get a degree of digital noise cross-contamination. If you then isolate the digital via an isolation transformer plugged into the plc, you have a lot of excess daisy chaining of cords and conditioners, which inherently tends to kill sound and reduce resolution. The better alternatives are either to have separate dedicated lines for each component, with filtering or isolation on each of the digital components, or else to have a single isolating and conditioning unit for the front end, providing that you can find one that is high enough in quality with low noise and no coloration.

If you really want to avoid 'dedicated crap', then go all out and use a high kva isolation transformer to feed your dedicated circuits or subpanel, and an upgraded grounding system.
The Audio Magic Eclipse is set up perfectly to isolate digital and analog. Two power cords required. I have them plugged into two dedicated outlets. that's the way to go..warren
Just a comment, since I'm in no position to know Audio Magic's current design. I'll be a bit surprised to find out that a passive plc can 'perfectly' isolate digital and analog, though any moves in this direction are [much] better than none. Anyone coming from a mixed signal or digital ic background knows the difficulty of preventing digital noise transfer, and most passive plc's are not very heavily engineered. Just skeptical of the word 'perfect' in this context, despite the separate power cords, though I could be wrong.
My preliminary experience with the Hydra-8 is that it improves upon all the components. My monoblocks are 600 watts, and I think even they improved. They were maybe 1-1.5 decibals louders without the conditioner, but were more coherent and refined with. I'd be interested to know others opinions about this, because the party-line is that power conditioners are too restrictive on amps. Perhaps good cords all around and a dedicated line are key here.

Rob