Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, trying to have a discussion with R2id is truly an exercise in futility! This guy believes that what he THINKS is actually FACT. He's the type of guy who loves hearing himself talk. He doesn't allow for the possibility that he may be mistaken or that someone else knows more than he does. He hangs out at an audio site but is anti-audiophile. He claims he hangs here 'cause he's a music-lover. If that's the case, why not go to Jazzcorner, Allaboutjazz, or Organissimo, the guy's totally illogical. Just look at the stupid statements he's made on this thread alone, his arrogance is only surpassed by his ignorance! He's truly got an Archie Bunker mentality.

'I for one, am going down swinging.'
?????????????????????????????????????

Against what? Against who? 50 yrs from now we'll all be gone but you know what'll still be around? THE MUSIC!!! Old AND new! If you fail to recognize this fundamental reality you truly know nothing. Stick to yr golden oldies lovefest but try to control yourself when the adults are having a conversation! I'd tell you to look up Congo Square but you undoubtedly think you know all there is to know about that place and time, don'tcha Archie!?;)
Thanks for the words of support, Learsfool and Chazro. One of the more interesting aspects of being a music lover is that, ironically, since music touches the most personal parts of our beings, it also tends to make some very resistant to new ideas and viewpoints; even when those ideas are clearly rooted in fact. IOW, "How dare anyone question that which I love so much; how can they possibly not see (hear) what I see?" Even the players themselves fall victim to this. Some prominent jazz players during the swing era thought that the birth of bebop would be the end of jazz. And Coltrane? Well, how many players first felt about his style is well documented.

I think the biggest challenge for a lot of the members of this forum is to not let their own personal music favorites take on undue importance in the scheme of the vast general scope of the art. We all have our favorites and may not be interested in being open to other musical viewpoints, wether they be by way of a different playing style or difficult compositions; as short sighted as that may be, it's ok. But, when one starts to make proclamations about this or that being fact, or that this or that style or performer is "the best", one should be able to back it up with a clear and factual argument and analysis, IMO. Art is human expression, and humans will always find a way to express the current human condition through art. To figure out for ourselves wether we are reacting to what the art is saying vs. wether we think it is good art or not is the biggest challenge; and the one with the biggest reward if we can arrive at an honest conclusion.

Anyway, returning to the regular programming:

If there ever was a cult figure in the world of jazz tenor players it was Tina Brooks. Not too many listeners have even heard of him, and to think that only one of his five Blue Note recordings was released during his lifetime is unbelievable. Just as an aside: it is a common and natural dynamic among musicians (in any genre, not just jazz) that when they show up to a gig they "size each other up" by how they warm-up. Some players take out their horn (or whatever) and start playing a million notes; everything but the kitchen sink. Other players will take the horn out, play a couple of notes and that's it; no big fanfare nor need to impress. Experienced players know that it is oftentimes the "quiet types" that will play the best; when it's time to get serious, what they do is just right. Tina Brooks strikes me as one of those players: not a particularly beautiful or well developed tone, some pitch issues here and there; but, in the context of the music he is playing everything is just right. This recording is highly recommended.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtx8rsp44tc

About time some big band favorites get mentioned. Thad Jones/Mel Lewis big band live at the Vanguard. Talk about swinging. The band during this time included, among others, Joe Farrell, Eddie Daniels, and the great Pepper Adams.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=an6_DJRy-Ts

Rok, Gloria Lynne, a forgotten vocalist, has come to my attention recently; she had a very seductive voice and "I Wish You Love" was probably her biggest hit. "June Night" is another one you want included in any compilation.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, you gotta check Chucho Valdez and The Afro Cuban Messengers. This is "jazz" without any qualifiers. Although they're Cuban, Blakey would have been proud of these musicians. I listened long and hard, they cook. Some of the music incorporated elements of "Vodoun", but I liked that too. Tell me what you think.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I have "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of The Tina Brooks Quintets", that was put out on Mosaic Records. He expressed "Tina Brooks" eloquently, and that's what it's all about. Some of the musicians that appear with him on this 4 LP box set, are Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, Doug watkins, Art Blakey, Jackie McClean, Blue Mitchell, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones. While there are other stars on this record set, the music is "Tina Brooks", and I'm glad I got to hear it.

Enjoy the music.