Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, Gloria Lynne, a forgotten vocalist, has come to my attention recently; she had a very seductive voice and "I Wish You Love" was probably her biggest hit. "June Night" is another one you want included in any compilation.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, you gotta check Chucho Valdez and The Afro Cuban Messengers. This is "jazz" without any qualifiers. Although they're Cuban, Blakey would have been proud of these musicians. I listened long and hard, they cook. Some of the music incorporated elements of "Vodoun", but I liked that too. Tell me what you think.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, I have "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of The Tina Brooks Quintets", that was put out on Mosaic Records. He expressed "Tina Brooks" eloquently, and that's what it's all about. Some of the musicians that appear with him on this 4 LP box set, are Lee Morgan, Sonny Clark, Doug watkins, Art Blakey, Jackie McClean, Blue Mitchell, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones. While there are other stars on this record set, the music is "Tina Brooks", and I'm glad I got to hear it.

Enjoy the music.
I knew my ears were burning this morning for some reason . WOW! They really worked me over. That CHAZRO is a caution, ain't he? You would have thought that a guru from stereophile had been spotted in bestbuy, the way he was howling and foaming at the mouth.
Archie Bunker?? I think I remeber him. All in the family. He was the one with the JOB. It could have been worst, he could have called me The Meathead!! And all this over a 'discussion' to which he was not even a party. I hate to think what would happened if anyone spoke to him directly.

Learsfool:
"There is no one on this board anywhere near as knowledgeable as Frogman in the subjects you have been trying to argue about with him."

According to....??????? And exactly what 'subjects'. I hope he is not 'self appointed' If he has a position, he should have kicked his credentials.

Cheers
Orpheus10:

I listened to Nina Simone today. The Philips recordings 'Four Women'. All the usual adjectives just don't seem adequate. This is really some seriously great music / singing. She makes even pop songs special. The wife and I sat down and listened to all 4 CDs without break. It is that good. What a talent!
Better get it before it's listed by 'these sellers' for 900 dollars.

I have about 5 of the Chucho Valdez CDs. He is a good player. As you said, without qualifier. I don't have him with the Afro-Cuban messengers, but I did listen to him 'At the Village Vanguard'.

I was so moved, I thought I was back in Baghdad or Seville or some other hot-bed of Jazz.

Get the Nina thingy. You won't be sorry.

Cheers