Does a listening room help or hinder?

I once had my office and my system in the same room. I did my work and listened while I worked(sounds like a Disney song). I heard lots of music. Before I had the music in my office, I had it in the living room.

Well, I got the idea that I needed a listening room, so I moved my desk and computer and put it in another room. Now, I have a listening room. It isn't pretty, but it is as functional as I can get it. It has room treatments galore. Some aren't very pretty, but all of it functional. I have one chair in it, plus a little table next to the chair to hold any drink I may have.

Lately, I put on some music and sit down. Sooner or later I have this urge to get up and go do something on the computer. Then I sit back. Soon, I get up again to get something in the kitchen. Then I sit back down again. It goes like this through the entire time the music is on.

Now I listen to music less than I did before. In fact, the music is on now, but I am in a separate room.

Where did I make the mistake? How can I fix this delima?
matchstikman
Bigjoe, and the other half of the enjoyment comes from what? BTW, I feel that "the rig" and "the music" are actually independent of each other. One is not necessary for the other, but whether listening to the rig or the music, one cannot do that at the same time as doing other tasks. The music, however, can be used as background sounds, but I don't see (hear?) how a rig can be used as background, except, maybe if white noise is being used.
Bob P.
MSM - get a laptop and a wireless network.

I work full time at home. I spend a great deal of time on the phone, but when I'm not, the music is playing. I've gone through who knows how many arangements in my office - and used my office as my listening room for some time.

I finally put a rig in just about every room in the house my wife lets me. I also moved my office out of the primary listening room simply because the desk was interfering with the listening arangement, and causing too much clutter.

Now, when I want to just listen, I'm in the listening room. When I need to work head's down, or on conference calls, I'm in the office. I have the Laptop so if I want to work in the listening room I carry the laptop in there. I also have a pretty nice rig in my office, though not as nice.

The result is I have great tunes even when I want to work. I have a dedicated listening room that's not cluttered. I also can change my scenery by moving from room to room, working or not.
Good thoughts. One thing I didn't point out was that one of the minor reasons to move the computer out of the listening room was so that I wouldn't work so much. Every time I wanted to listen to some music, I would end up turning the computer on and before I knew it, I was hooked up to work checking this and that, writing business email.... So, I thought that by separating the two, I would get more enjoyment from music.

Hmmmm, now that I think of it, my listening room problem may have a deeper rooted problem......I WORK TOO MUCH!!

On the other hand, without the computer in my listening room, I find myself falling asleep alot of the time that I do listen to JUST music. I don't hear anything because I am snoozing.
I think Newbee's point is the most salient. You're obviously not enjoying listening to your music. Find something new that really graps you.
Newbee may be right. However, I don't need new music. I have a stack of brand new, still sealed CDs and new LPs that haven't been heard.