Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
Tpcarter,

You're right, but you're pissing in the wind. I've tried to make the same argument at least a thousand times. The only thing I can tell you for certain, is that for people who argue the opposite position, this has nothing to do with cables. You won't get anywhere with them.
ZD542 - I think it makes more sense to some people that a more expensive component provides better performance rather than cables - after all, they employ things like quality circuit boards, quality electrical components, quality power supplies - these are bound to sound better - since they do cost more!

But cables ?

It's only a piece of wire! AND they're passive!

How could they possibly improve sound quality simply by having...
- better quality conductors & connectors
- more effective cable architectures
- noise cancelling conductor geometries
- etc...

Unfortunately, I've also met people in the business that don't believe in, what I consider some pretty basic cable science, like the a technician that repaired high end gear for a very hi-end hi-fi store...
- he didn't believe high capacitance speakers cables could be responsible for driving a SS amp into oscillation
- he believed the reason for the amp blowing was that the cables had shorted somehow.
- now he is a little more educated.

But as you pointed out - for the most part trying to convey the benefits of quality cables is very much PITW :-)

The optimist in me likes to think the tide might be turning
- just - v e r y.....s l o w l y

Regards... ;-)
Old news somewhat but I did notice an improvement with the Pangea power cord on both my DACs and on my ARC sp-16 pre-amp as well but to a lesser extent.

I employed isolation as best possible prior. Adding shielding in my case was worthwhile as it turns out. And the Pangea's did not break the bank in the process. So I can easily recommend them to potentially add teh advertised benefits. Not to say they or any other product always will in each individual case, but they seem to do what is advertised at least in my cases which is all one can ask for.
"08-12-15: Williewonka
ZD542 - I think it makes more sense to some people that a more expensive component provides better performance rather than cables - after all, they employ things like quality circuit boards, quality electrical components, quality power supplies - these are bound to sound better - since they do cost more!"

I was responding to Tpcarter's post only and not comparing how much of a difference cables make vs active components. I wrote this last week.

" I've read some reviews online and it seems very difficult to purchase cables without auditioning, but this is my situation. I really want to bring out the best of the Olympica III's, the soundstage, midrange warmth, instrument/vocal placement, and overall seductiveness of the speakers."

The only thing I can tell you for sure is that its not going to happen. What you're talking about are major component differences and qualities. Amp, preamp, speakers etc. Cables may effect those areas, but nowhere near the level that components do. When you read reviews, the descriptions they use make it sound like a pair of cables will have the same impact on your sound as a pair of speakers. The differences with cables are usually much less.

The second, and more important thing that reviews lack are difficulty levels. If you're new to audio, its not easy to pick through a bunch of cables looking for differences. The differences are there, but there's no guarantee that you're going to find them. It takes a lot of listening and experience to do this. The last thing you want to do is rush in and spend a lot of money.

So my recommendation would be to keep your 3k in your pocket, and spend about $100-200 on speaker cables. At least for now.
Zd542 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
I've found very good cable options for modest price.

If these did not fit the bill, I would consider spending more, but I am not inclined to do that. I get hours and hours of listening pleasure every week out of a very modest investment in wires.

So my advice is stick to the most common well reviewed (by user) options for modest cost to start. Consider changing and maybe paying somewhat more only if good reason. You should find something that works well for modest cost.

last thing I would recommend is to spend a fortune out of teh gate on any wires thinking that will solve all your problems. It almost certainly will not and you may find you have change yet again later once the real issues at hand have been addressed.

So basically, walk before you run, don't jump into teh deep end without testing the waters first, etc., all those good old cliche good practices that tend to almost always work best, including for getting the good sound you want.

Lastly, be very cautious of anyone who tells you wires are the main key to good sound. They will likely contribute as a tweak to get you to a better place perhaps but alone can do little.