Best stand mounted monitors

I need your help please as I'm replacing my floor standing KEF Ref. Series 104/2 speakers with stand mounted monitors and probably a subwoofer due to the wife-acceptance-factor. I'm looking for comments from people who have listened to and hopefully compared the following monitor speakers that I'm considering:
(1) REFERENCE 3A - MM Decapo i
(2) PROAC - Response One SC or Tablette Ref. 8 Signature
(3) VON SCHWEIKERT - VR-1
(4) REVEL - M20 or the new M22 due out Q1 '04
(5) ATC - SCM 10-2 or SCM 20-2 either active or passive.

Other things you need to consider before offering your advice:
--> I will be replacing a very old Sherwood receiver with a new tube preamp and either tube or SS amp. I'll get the speakers first and then match the amp to it.
--> my room is about 4,800 cubic ft (40*15*8) and is average "aliveness" so having a higher sensitive speaker (e.g. >89dB) is desirable as it'll will mean less power required. I listen mostly to jazz with some R&B and classical.
--> budget is around US$2K-$3K (new retail price)
--> Id like to buy a REL subwoofer to match (e.g. Stadium II or III)

Many thanks.
kevinzoe
I gotta recommend active speakers. For price to performance ratio, there's nothing that touches them. I haven't heard the ATC's, although I've heard wonderful things about them. If you can find a decent pair of Paradigm Active 20's or 40's, that would be my recommendation! I have the 40's and have never looked back. Plus, bass is great with the 40's so you can avoid the subwoofer.
I have only heard one speaker from your list. I own the reference 3A MM DeCapo (non-i). It could be a very good choice in your scenario as it has pretty high efficiency and is very easy to drive. I've driven mine with as little as 1.5 w/channel in my smallish room. Also, the DeCapos have very good bass response for a monitor. You might just buy them and find out you don't need a sub.

So, the DeCapo would allow you to choose from a wide variety of amplifiers, including relatively inexpensive small tube or SS amps.

I love mine!

Enjoy,

TIC
At first, I was going to recommend the M20, since I've owned it twice. But, with tubed gear, unless you have tons of power, I don't think you'll be happy. The Decapos would probably be my choice of you list above. Have you had a chance to hear the B&W Signature 805?
I second the B&W N805 Signitures. A few months ago I was in the market to upgrade my "stock" n805's. Listened to about a dozen different manufaturers (made my wife drive me all over the NJ, NY, PA, DE area) and ended up with the N805 sigs. IMO best sound in the the $3k-$4k price range.
I am a monitorphile, even owned my own loudspeaker company 20+ years ago. Over the past 2 years I either listened to or owned most of the speakers you have on your list. I found what I wanted in Finland from PenAudio (www.penaudio.fi). Their Charisma is by far the best monitor I have ever heard. Fast, articulate, accurate and musical with tons of room fill and imaging you cannot imagine. They are small, 5 1/2 x 10 x 11, and sound better than floor standers in the same price range. You can complement them with a REL or get their matching Chara woofer system. The company will celebrate its five year anniversary in 2004 and the founder, Sami Pentilla, has been designing speaker for other manufacturers for about 10 years. Joe Abrams at Portal Audio is their new US importer. They will be back at CES in January and several dealers are on-line. I strongly suggest you call Joe at 888-737-4434 and speak with him. If you want a a more detailed comparison with some of the speakers on your list, please send me an e-mail.