Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Acman3, don't be sorry for the rant; put up or shut up. Now that we have "You tube", play like we're from Missouri and show us.

Enjoy the mmusic.
Ref: Lee Morgan, 'Live at the Lighthouse'. I don't have it, but I listened to a little online. I have no problem with it.

He evolved or was trying to evolved. It was sort of different, but still good. But, I guess Coltrane gets everyone in the end.

There is a difference from an established Jazz player evolving and someone right out of the gate making strange nosies.

It's now available from 'these sellers' for a few hundred.

Cheers
Based on someone's recommendation in this thread to consider Jimmy Giuffre,I just got the album "Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961", 180 gram vinyl reissue by ECM, which combines the "Fusion" and "Thesis" albums both recorded in 1961 on the Verve label. Personnel was Jimmy Giuffre on clarinet, Paul Bley on piano and Steve Swallow on bass. Some of the songs, including Ictus, were composed by Bley's then -wife, Carla Bley. Amazing stuff! I am the first to admit I am not fond of most free verse stuff. However, this is accessible, at times very melodic and very beautiful sounding. A lot of use of space. The recording is first rate. It also is available on CD. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yesterday I received The Three Sounds, 'Eight Classic Albums'.

I had wondered if the Eight Classic Albums sets were a good deal. If this set is any indication, they are a great deal.

I have listened to two, and the sound quality seems to be equal to that, of the one Three Sounds Blue Note CD I have.

Documentation is OK. The overall package looks good. Two albums on each of the 4 CDs.

This is a good way to get a lot of music from an artist you might like, but don't feel you need the individual Cds.

Cheers
Music has to change, art has to change. It wouldn't make any sense for someone today to write like Haydn or maybe less so, like Art Tatum. Uri Caine seems interesting to me now. It's rewarding to listen to musicians playing Stan Kenton, Mozart, Billie Holiday but these are old ideas in terms of composition.

I'm not suggesting that musicians like Sonny Rollins write in the way that Cecil Taylor might. We should savor and respect what these musician/composers naturally developed into within the span of their careers, but all artists need to grow. Most accomplished jazz musicians write their own pieces. Musicians who make a living playing the music of Monk, Ellington, etc... are a different matter, as they can choose to invest in the works of their contemporaries or limit their repertoire to music of the past.

Composers, with exceptions being in rare cases, will try to avoid repeating what another composer has already written and since the rules of harmony have been stretched beyond all boundaries, the possibilities are endless. Since everyone is wired differently, every composer will create differently. Nevertheless Picasso said 'good artists borrow from other artists but great artists steal from other artists'.