Would you buy speakers with out first listening ?

I've never owned a pair of speakers that I have not listened to before hand...do you guys trust and buy on opinion? If so, have you experienced any great "let down".

Dave
sogood51
I started out years ago listening and buying at the dealers place. At that place and time I was not smart enough at to realize they had better stuff driving them.--So I was always disappointed.---Since then I have bought from reading the review.---Even tho I could have listened at the store where I was buying; I thought it a waste of time.So since about 1990 I have bought without hearing first. I have always been happy with what I bought; sight--unheard. If this were a poll,my answer to the question: YES.
tough call...

you can get a general impression by here and audio review...but will have no idea how they will interact with you room and gear...
I have been disappointed, updating from B&W 802, series III to B&W N804. It has taught me never to buy speakers that I do not hear first. It was my third set of B&Ws so I didn't think it would be a problem.

Room issues and associated components make such a difference to getting the best fit. How will you know if you are getting the speaker that brings all this synergy together. I replaced the N804 last year with ATC 20-2s. I demoed over 10 speakers, and was also able to hear the finalist in my home.

In comparison with other components, it was a time consumming and difficult experience. I did, however, learn a lot in the process of what I really wanted as well as know I that I didn't compromise. This method takes a lot more time & costs more money (no used deals). To me it was fair price to make sure I got he sound I wanted.
I was just reflecting on my post about buying speakers unheard. I should add that I am much more reluctant to purchase source components on line unheard, and when I purchase a speaker I have no expectations of it being a perfect match to my amp. Perhaps thats why I haven't been disappointed.
In my case, I've only bought one set of speakers from the internet and they were bought without hearing them first. Did a lot of reading and then took the plunge and very glad I did.

Boss302