Best speakers for Classical music under 10k used

I currently have an upgraded pair of Thiel 2.3's that I have been happy with but am now ready to upgrade. I plan on listening to the Thiel 7.2 and the Wilson Sophias. I was wondering what others I should seach out? For 'classical' music only - big orchestra to solo instrument
hstokar
The Sophias are an excellent speaker and a good value. However, I can think of no better speaker for the classical genre than the Harbeth Monitor 40. These are rarely available used but will set you back a lot less than a pair of Sophias--and will perform better. If you can stand their appearance (huge boxes) then this would be my top recommendation. Cheaper used and similar (but less revealing) are the Spendor SP100. I had a pair a while back--excellent speaker, one of the best I've owned. You might even consider the Harbeth Super HL5 which is a phenomenal value and can be gotten used for around 2.5K. It is less full range than the Monitor 40 but you won't miss much on the bottom and the coherence and instrumental timbres are faithfully revealed. I know that each of these recommendations are considerably below the 10K price point you set but I really don't think you can do better for classical music regardless of the money--why not put the balance into upgrading source and electronics?
As an owner of the Merlin VSM (MM version), I agree with Rushton. His desciption is excellent. I am amazed at what these speakers do for all kinds of music and classical has never sounded better in my system. Good luck with your search.

Cheers
I listen to classical much of the time and also have played in our local symphony ,The Skagit Symphony, for the past 15 years Bass Trombone.I have the Martin Logan Quest Z's and paired up with great tube gear and a properly set up Analog rig,its very difficult to find anything any better unless you get the old Martin Logan CLS 2Z's But they are much harder to drive IMO.
I think ELS Speakers will show so much more macro and micro level detail that cone speakers just simply can't match.
HAPPY lISTENING
Don
I've yet to find a better speaker for full-throttle orchestral music than the Thiel 7.2s. They are excellent on solo and small classical pieces as well. A bit finicky, but magic when properly set-up with top equipment. I too had the the 2.3s prior to my upgrade. Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide upon.

Rob