Klipschorn: Still relevant??

I'm interested in stirring the pot which is my current system. Please see my system for more details but, in summary, I'm conteplating moving from a Cary beam power/triode & Von Schweikert VR4JR based system to a SET/Klipschorn system.

In general, would you consider the move to be "better" or just different. Or worse?? Better being defined as higher fidelity for most types of acoustic music.

Really curious. Your opinion matters! I have to buy most of my equipment without hearing it and have to rely on reputations, opinions, reviews, etc.

Thanx
pawlowski6132
FWIW, I am using a pair of Klipsch LaScala's in an all
tube system, and I am amazed! And I am not a total
rookie at this, and have owned some pretty amazing
& high dollar speaker systems and alway's blown off
Klipsch because of their mainly "non high end statis"
but came across a pair for cheap, and they have blown
me away. No speaker is perfect, but the Khorns should
be fantastic coupled with the right equipment...IMO
no SS, but tubes only.
People can argue till the cows come home, but I think a
proper system used with the Khorns will blow you away.
I never had the VR4JR, but had the VR2's. Not a snowballs
chance against the K's.
So yes they are more than relevant!

Main strenght's are (with right equipment)

Dynamics & tight bass
Speed
PRAT (musicality)
Air
Vocals

Weaknesses (with wrong equipment)

Bright
Honky
(I had SS with a pair of smaller Klipsch..Yuck!!)
I don't know if the system you propose would be "Better" than what you have, but I do know that I love the sound of the Klipchorn, especially with loud orchestral works, or rock music. I have a buddy with a pair of late 1950's era (think they are 1959), that he runs with modern McInstosh tubes (sorry, not sure of the models), and uses these for HT as well. He uses a Cary preamp, passes through the HT, and process movies and surround with an older Denon 3803. Vinyl and discs sound fantastic. Full, detailed, powerful, great bass. He uses no sub, room has good acoutics, without any treatment.

I love the Klipsch sound. Why don't they make any high end new models I always wonder??
Telescope - thanx for the insightful words. One question that comes to mind after reading your post is; is there any meaningful way to determine what the "right" amp is? I've heard that quite a few times now.

MacDadTX - Thank you too, if you check the Klipsch site like I did you'll notice that their Heritage collection is still comprised of the original lineup and they're still cranking 'em up. Although, I understand they're not cheap.
It is hard to try to say what the exact right amp
would be like anything else, but I would say a
good 300b or a EL34 based amp would be a good place
to start looking. As you know, you do not need a lot of power, so that opens up the door for a lot of great
amps. Right now I am running KT88's but am going back
to EL 34's.
Somthing that is known for a rich, full bodied sound.
Also maybe not to much silver wire in the system would
be a good path.

You are right, they still make the Heritage line,
and they are pretty expensive. Here is an interesting
site you may want to check into if you do not already
own the Khorns.

http://shinallandcompany.com/

Looks like Klipsch, but cheaper!?!?

Good luck!
Hi,

I have a SET ( Wright 2A3 monoblocks ) which I use with 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls. I also use a EICO HF-81 (circa 1959 el84 williamson design pp amp ) and a Cary SLI-80 ( in the triode mode ) with them. The Wrights sound the best ... detailed, articulate, fast and plenty of bass and volume, a midrange and highs to die for and outstanding imaging ( side to side and front to back ) with these high efficiency speakers. The horns can only be better. I wish I had the room for them.

BTW, Klipsch still produces the La Scala, the Bells, the Klipschorns, the Heresys and will soon add the Cornwalls to current production.

To get sets and Khorns is IMHO a dream set up.

good listening,

Larry