Klipschorn: Still relevant??

I'm interested in stirring the pot which is my current system. Please see my system for more details but, in summary, I'm conteplating moving from a Cary beam power/triode & Von Schweikert VR4JR based system to a SET/Klipschorn system.

In general, would you consider the move to be "better" or just different. Or worse?? Better being defined as higher fidelity for most types of acoustic music.

Really curious. Your opinion matters! I have to buy most of my equipment without hearing it and have to rely on reputations, opinions, reviews, etc.

Thanx
pawlowski6132
Telescope - thanx for the insightful words. One question that comes to mind after reading your post is; is there any meaningful way to determine what the "right" amp is? I've heard that quite a few times now.

MacDadTX - Thank you too, if you check the Klipsch site like I did you'll notice that their Heritage collection is still comprised of the original lineup and they're still cranking 'em up. Although, I understand they're not cheap.
It is hard to try to say what the exact right amp
would be like anything else, but I would say a
good 300b or a EL34 based amp would be a good place
to start looking. As you know, you do not need a lot of power, so that opens up the door for a lot of great
amps. Right now I am running KT88's but am going back
to EL 34's.
Somthing that is known for a rich, full bodied sound.
Also maybe not to much silver wire in the system would
be a good path.

You are right, they still make the Heritage line,
and they are pretty expensive. Here is an interesting
site you may want to check into if you do not already
own the Khorns.

http://shinallandcompany.com/

Looks like Klipsch, but cheaper!?!?

Good luck!
Hi,

I have a SET ( Wright 2A3 monoblocks ) which I use with 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls. I also use a EICO HF-81 (circa 1959 el84 williamson design pp amp ) and a Cary SLI-80 ( in the triode mode ) with them. The Wrights sound the best ... detailed, articulate, fast and plenty of bass and volume, a midrange and highs to die for and outstanding imaging ( side to side and front to back ) with these high efficiency speakers. The horns can only be better. I wish I had the room for them.

BTW, Klipsch still produces the La Scala, the Bells, the Klipschorns, the Heresys and will soon add the Cornwalls to current production.

To get sets and Khorns is IMHO a dream set up.

good listening,

Larry
SET/Klipschorn is the most gratifying, lifelike sound I've experienced, bar none. However, it was not a simple plug 'n play process. It worked for us because of four things:

1) Finding the best NOS tube combination for the amps
2) Modding the speakers (Dampen horns/Update x-overs/Re-wire with silver)
3) Experimenting with cabling that worked best for the system, even if it was expensive. We went from $200 IC's to $800 IC's, but doing that--as well as adding a preamp--enabled us to sell our sub, because we were getting so much more full range music as a result of the cable/preamp change. Simple rule that we had: Don't guess at the result without trying it first. If it works, keep it. If not, re-sell it. You don't lose anything by trying out various used cable options.
4) Getting the best possible source we could afford, which was THE most important factor. If you wonder whether or not your source sounds digital, has glare, or just isn't up to snuff, the K-horns will make you wonder no more. You'll have your answer in a jiffy. Because if there's something to be heard, they will project it.

A fellow audiophile asked me the other day how our system could sound this good for less than the price of his speakers. Because the SET/K-horn combination is like sushi. When done right, you feel like you're eating with the royals. And when done poorly, you just want to vomit and never come near it again.
Larry, Did I hear you right! Did you you say the Cornwall is coming back into production? How and where did you get that info from? I'm asking because I've been searching for a clean pair of Cornwall 2's for the longest time.