Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
'Soultrane' is a great CD. I had forgotten how 'normal' Coltrane can sound. Great playing. Maybe Red Garland and Paul Chambers kept order!

I listened to the Ray Charles and Betty Carter CD. I thought it was very good. Esp 'Baby It's Cold Outside' and 'Takes Two To Tango'.

The Choral groups doing the 'sweetening'? Nothing new, ever hear of Bird and Strings? Nat Cole's Christams CD? On that one there were two(2) orchestras and three(3) choral groups to 'help' him. Just ruined one of the greatest Christmas CDs of all time.

Lets not even talk about Gil Evans and Miles Davis. But it is the same thing / mind set! I don't think any of these great artist 'requested' help! "They' always seem to think they can make it Mo' Better. Defend the Music!!

Maybe you are beginning to see my point.

Cheers
I have to listen to that "Mellow Fellows" CD. I think Branford's Eternal CD is excellent. It is a mix of original and standard (but less familiar) ballads, with Branford playing both soprano and tenor sax. Dedicated in memory to people in Branford's life, some famous, one a childhood friend. Usual quartet. Absolutely beautiful music.
I have to listen to that "Mellow Fellows" CD. I think Branford's Eternal CD is excellent. It is a mix of original and standard (but less familiar) ballads, with Branford playing both soprano and tenor sax. Dedicated in memory to people in Branford's life, some famous, one a childhood friend. Usual quartet. Absolutely beautiful music.
Lastest played:

Hank Crawford (alto sax) -- Mr Blues / Mr Blues Plays Lady Soul

If you ever wanted to stroll down Beale street, this is it.
David 'Fathead' Newman, Pepper Adams, Bernard Purdie and others lend support. Party Time music. You'll think you are in a rib joint in Memphis. 'Going down slow' and 'Since you've been gone' my favorites

Crawford Was Ray Charles Band director in the early 60's. Three of Ray's former sax players died in 2009. Crawford and 'fathead' Newman were two of them.

There are three(3) pictures of crawford on the cover, one on the back of the cover, one on the CD surface, one on the inside bottom of the tray and one on the rear of the insert. lest we forget??

Abbey Lincoln (vocal) -- Abbey Is Blue

Her best and one of the best period. 'Afro-Blue' and 'Laugh, Clown, laugh' are standouts among standouts. The recording is difficult to describe. Her voice is center and perfect, but it sounds as if she is in a large room with wooden floors. This is not a bad thing. I thought the band could have been a little more upfront.

Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Dorham, Wynton Kelly, Cedar walton, Philly Joe Jones and Max Roach in support. Truly a great performance. Afro-Blue is worth it all by itself!!

Chano Dominguez (piano) -- Hecho a Mano

This is an attempt to merge Jazz and flamenco. I will leave it to music experts to say to what degree he succeeds. I know, I like it. This is the real deal. Very nice listening, which is what it's all about. Great recording. Great Piano Playing.

Cheers

"I found out as a young musician growing up in Memphis that if you weren't reaching people and having them tap their foot, then there was nothing happening."
Hank Crawford.

I like his attitude!