whats your idea of loud music.

ok here' what got me thinking about all of this.

i was in a dealers show room a while back checking out his ar monoblocks(sweet)& he put some smooth jazz on for me,the maggies sounded fantastic & i asked him to turn it up to a loud volume so i could see how the maggies responded.

after he gave me a stupid look he turned it up a notch & then stepped away & covered his ears like they might rupture or something & were talking about the volume being at the point where i could of heard him fart from 5 feet away,i asked him why he wouldnt turn it up loud & he told me that he wasnt sure what i thought loud was but the volume he had was more than enough for anybody.

i also see threads where guys reccomend these low power amps that i have owned with speakers i have owned & they say that the amp speaker combination can obtain listening levels that are not only louder than anybody would care to listen but unsafe levels to boot & when i had the same gear i thought the combination was way under powered & no where near being loud.

i consider loud to be when you can feel as well as hear the music & not from sitting right in front of the rig,i also consider loud to be when things on the walls move & my coffee cup has a little ripple on top of the coffee or when the dog runs for cover,i also consider it to be not loud if somebody in the same room can talk to you from 5 feet away & be heard.

im not looking for a right or wrong answer im just curious as to what other guys consider loud to be defined as.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
Nsgarth , from my experience anybody riding a bike home from a bar let alone at 2 am is a moron & will very soon be wraped around a tree & i do not feel sorry when that happens,only the biggest of fool's ride's a bike drunk,if that was happening down my street i would throw nail's in the street & flaten their stupid lookin micky thompson rear tire's.

Tab11os, not only do i ride a loud bike & listen to loud music but i work on very loud construction site's & i alway's thought i may have some type of hearing loss until last year when i had to take a hearing test to be a certified crane operator within the auto manufacturing plant's here in michigan,to my suprise my hearing is perfect,go figure,i hope it stay's that way too.

mike.
Joe -- good heavens! I didn't want to kill anyone, just get some sleep! And I didn't say the bikers were drunk, how the hell would I know?

No, the speed bumps definitely did the trick. They stopped all activity, not just one guy. Nobody died, and I didn't have to buy any nails!
Bigjoe, I also take a yearly hearing test(boiler shop), and score well, but apparently the generic test only rates the range from 4000 to 12000 hz or thereabouts. I'd have to see an audiologist for a full range test.
By the way- nice motorsickle! :)
with age i've come to a position somewhat in line with Nsgarch where he states that he cant see why one would
want to exceed the volume of the real deal. I now can't see why one would even want to attain those levels. When i was much younger i'd learn tunes for band practice by playing with my rig at about the same volumes i'd be playing the last set at the bar at. That was using a 60 wt ampeg with a 4x12. you couldn't even hear a person yelling in your ear. Why after that and another 20 yrs of bands i can still hear is beyond me.
I consider a peak of 95 dB at my listening position loud. I would never listen to the music that loud, but I would turn it up that loud to show the system off, and/or to test out components. I usually listen in the high 70s to mid 80s (dB). With a speaker that puts out good bass you should be able to do all the shaking you want without having to output ear damaging dB levels (or you could always go with a dedicated sub).

As far as shaking shelves and other stuff, that is just a good way to destroy your hearing...