Beware How I was ripped off

A while back I saw an add posted for some Tannoy drivers that I was interested in. I opened some dialogue and ended up purchasing them. The seller was "audiosource", Paul Berger, and did have a few transctions with positive feedback. On the phone he said he was opening a store in Poland for hifi. He said he could not do paypal and I had to do bank transfer. Due to the positive feedbacks I decided to go through with it. Lo and behold a few months go by and I have not recieved my speakers. He is very reassuring stating that they are going by boat and it takes a long time. Finally we get to the point were he promises to refund. Unfortunately he never does and doesn't respond to any more emails. Lesson learnt I will never send bank transfer again. Do not purchase anything form this scammer!
analogluvr
Wow Dkarmeli I feel so bad for you!! And yes paypal are thieves as well. I think they do the bare minimum so backing it up with a CC makes good sense. The worst part I couldn't even give "audiosource" a negative feedback as to much time had passed. I emailed audiogon support with the whole story, told them I couldn't post feedback as too much time had passed, but told them I just wanted to add feedback to prevent the same thing from happening to someone else.
I didn't even get a response.
As a long time Audiogon user (always a buyer, not a seller), I am very cautious about buying online. It's just me but I would never, ever buy from an international seller. I have never been scammed but I empathize with those that have been. I just think that the cost of shipping a 100 pound amplifier half way around the world must outweigh any discount someone could give you. Also, if you mail a check then you have their address. I believe it would be worth the cost of a plane ticket to fly to their home and ask them face-to-face, "Where's my money?"

This thread has just given me the willies. A friend of mine wants me to get rid of a closet full of his old equipment. Since it is "up scale" stuff, it seems the only way to get a decent price for it is through the web. But these stories are scaring me away from trying to do that.

I've never sold anything on the internet before. I've been researching it and it seems like the Wild, Wild, West.

In the US, if you have a beef with somebody you have to take them to small claims court in THEIR state, which requires you to fly out and handle it in a court that is local to the party you are suing.

So I think I'm going back to the idea of looking for local dealers who would buy it. For much less than I would get off the net, I imagine.

Still thinking it over. Don't like the hassle. Should never have agreed to help. Must learn to keep my mouth shut. =-}
Tom32- If you remember some simple rules, this site is usually pretty darn safe for sellers. Your local dealer will probably give you 10 cents on the dollar at best, here you should be able to get 3-6X that, so you do have a margin or error.
1. Do not accept paypal payments funded by a credit card. Insist that it be funded from a bank account or a paypal e-check. If e-check, wait until it clears before you ship.
2. No sales to Nigeria, Eastern Europe, Russia unless they have about 1000 positive feedback AND pay w bank wire. That's only sort of a joke.
3. Payment by bank wire is the safest for the seller. They cannot use the account numbers you give them to drain your account. Once the funds hit your account, they cannot be pulled back.
4. Bank checks/cashier's checks, Bank money orders are not guaranteed safe until they actually clear. These type of funds have been counterfeit/stolen in the past and if the issuing entity declines to cover it, your bank will back-charge you. Western Union deals are the most suspect. Never ever ever accept an instrument for more than the sales price and give some cash back to the buyer.
5. U.S. Postal money orders are very, very safe. YOu can cash them at any post office.
6. Get a phone number and a physical address, not just a p.o. box, and talk to the buyer.
7. Look at the buyer's feedback. Not just the score, but what it's based on. Too many from the same few members, or for low price items are a red flag.
8. Remember that the seller is actually the e-site's customer. They pay the fees, so the rules are generally weighted in the seller's favor. Not always, but just a thought to keep in mind. In this case, it works in your favor.