How to audition used speakers???

I'm looking for some nice used speakers for a second, very modest system. I'm looking, almost entirely, at used speakers, especially Spicas. I've bought equipment on Audiogon, but as far as speakers, I'm hesitant. How can I audition speakers that I want to buy used via eBay or Audiogon? Isn't buying speakers this way as good as rolling a die? I'm interested in these Spicas, but I've never heard them! Anyone have a pair that lives close to me (06830)?

Incidentally, what are good "classic" speakers?
128x128ledhed2222
I've thought this way Goatwuss, but I can only listen to a small number of brands by going to a dealer. Even if I go to three different dealers, I may only be exposed to a few speakers. What if I'm curious about vintage speakers or speakers that only have one American dealer? For example, there are no Mangepan dealers near me (as far as I know). I'm not sure what to do in this example.
"Since the output of the receiver is small,..... I feel that you don't need a subwoofer if you have a good pair of floorstanders. "

A sub takes the power away from the main amp, and of the amp is small as you say, then all the more reason you need a sub.

Note that many, or most floorstanders don't have an appreciable output where the sub would be in any case.
I bought a pair of bi-wired KEF Reference 104/2s based solely on reputation and reviews. I recognized the shipping address as very high-end Manhatten, but still I suppose it was a gamble. I love the speakers and have never regretted that gamble. If at some point the 104/2s become unrepairable, I'll look for a pair of Sophias or Sophia-2s. So I'd say buying used speakers entails some risk, but a worthwhile risk. I'm not as cavalier about selling and shipping as some who have posted on this thread, but then I've only been a buyer.

db
"Isn't buying speakers this way as good as rolling a die?"

Yes. Find a good dealer and work with him, unless you like rolling dice.

well, I just disagree. I DID buy a new set of speaker from a good dealer after spending a great deal of time auditioning them. When upgrade time came, I sold them for half my purchase price. Don't be mistaken, buying from a dealer IS a good option, but don't be confused about the economics. If you are careful, and thoughtful, you can significantly eliminate the risk of used, and end up with more speaker than if you buy new.